Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2017 WRX Limited with the STI short throw shifter. Yesterday and today when kind of light gas pedal/coasting in first gear my transmission popped out of first gear. This is a little disturbing. I have been thinking about it and I was not under any odd driving or engine situations. I was easily in the operating RPM of the gear, not too low and not too high, and it just seems to happen randomly. I was unable to consistently recreate this issue. Any thoughts? This car has like 2k miles on it, should I be contacting the dealership now and starting something? Got me a little worried about the future if I am already popping out of gears (so far only 1st gear).

Thanks in advance!

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,460 Posts
There's no reason it should slip out of any gear. Express your admiration to the dealer.

· Registered
100 Posts
I remember when I was first getting used to my WRX with the factory installed short throw. I thought I had it in first but it was not notched all the way and when I started forward it popped out. Bit embarrassing. Now I make sure its up there nice and tight.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember when I was first getting used to my WRX with the factory installed short throw. I thought I had it in first but it was not notched all the way and when I started forward it popped out. Bit embarrassing. Now I make sure its up there nice and tight.
I would agree but this isn't my first short throw shifter. Also that should happen as labeled above when first trying to engage the gear, but this happens after the gear is engaged and working fine and when decelerating.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ummmm i dont want to seem like an idiot, but can i ask why you are coasting in first anyway?? seems odd to me
This happens when in traffic jams or coasting from one stop sign to another that is a short distance away. I don't coast/slow down in 1st gear in any other driving scenario but when I am moving up with traffic and then coast for a few feet it pops out to neutral.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am taking it to dealer tomorrow. After digging through forums there has been a bunch of people with this issue. Either the shifter linkage needs an adjustment or the clutch engagement does.

· Registered
84 Posts
This happens when in traffic jams or coasting from one stop sign to another that is a short distance away. I don't coast/slow down in 1st gear in any other driving scenario but when I am moving up with traffic and then coast for a few feet it pops out to neutral.
i was imaging driving and then down shifting into first and coasting....lol but it makes more sense now.

· Registered
7 Posts
2017 WRX popping out of 2nd and 1st gear

I have a 2017 WRX Limited 6MT, 7500 miles. It has popped out of 2nd gear 14 times, occurring only when coasting to turn and now recently started with 1st, has occurred 3 times. The dealer is no help,
as they can not reproduce it. HQ said talk to dealer and said they will look into it and get back to me in 2 weeks. How did you get your issues corrected?

doug
Blue17

Hi All,

I have a 2017 WRX Limited with the STI short throw shifter. Yesterday and today when kind of light gas pedal/coasting in first gear my transmission popped out of first gear. This is a little disturbing. I have been thinking about it and I was not under any odd driving or engine situations. I was easily in the operating RPM of the gear, not too low and not too high, and it just seems to happen randomly. I was unable to consistently recreate this issue. Any thoughts? This car has like 2k miles on it, should I be contacting the dealership now and starting something? Got me a little worried about the future if I am already popping out of gears (so far only 1st gear).

Thanks in advance!

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,787 Posts
Do these car have a secondary or inner shift boot? Some vehicles do and if they are installed wrong, or even a little stiff they can cause the vehicle to drop out of gear in certain situations.

Typically this will be most notable when it's really cold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.