ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ello board.

I have read that my 2017 WRX has a governor that limits my speed to ~144mph ... I'd like to disable this, not because I actually want to drive that fast, but because I never know when I might need to outrun the zombies :screwy: (And I plan on going to the track for training soon).

Anyone know how to do this?

TY.

(PS. does anyone know what the real top speed is?)

·
For External Use Only
3,886 Posts
Welcome to the board, I'm also from WV.

Don't worry about disabling a governor, because 1. You are never going to need to go that fast and 2. Your ringlands will thank me later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, no offense but you won't be able to hit 144 anywhere (unless you've modded the bejeezus out of your car). Coincidentally the fastest I've ever gone was 143, so I'll probably never hit 144 either lol. If we're outrunning zombies or po-lice or anarchists, we'll probably be better off running around 90-100 and saving the engine...

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Yeah, no offense but you won't be able to hit 144 anywhere (unless you've modded the bejeezus out of your car).

My first WRX back in 2002 was able to hit 144 mph rather easily new from the factory, 100% stock. And that car had less power and I would assume a worse drag coefficient than the newer models. :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Really? Where at? I'll take your word for it. Just really surprised the gear didn't top out before that.

Anywhere flat and straight.. I can think of a dozen different roads it hit 140+ on back then, lol.

Fifth gear in the 5mt is taller than 6th gear in the STI. With enough power, factory stock wheels/tires/transmission/and rev limiter the 2002 WRX wouldn't be gear limited till 187mph. The fastest I ever got my other 02 WRX up to was 166.. but with the wheels/tires and higher rev limit in that car it could theoretically hit 218mph before running out of gear... theoretically.

·
Premium Member
10,802 Posts
Depends on how many jiggawats you've got.

In theory you have the gearing to hit north of 180. In reality you probably run out of gusto well before that, and it would likely take a heck of a stretch to hit the max

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
The EJ-series ECUs have tables to cut fuel and reduce throttle at XXX MPH. You would need to adjust those tables, which would mean that if you had any kind of drivetrain failure "under warranty", you would be paying for it out of pocket, since the claim would be denied due to unauthorized tampering with the ECU. So, unless you're going to calibrate the ECU for more power (claim will be denied anyway), it's not worth it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have seen my digital speedo in my 2016 base model WRX say 149.. drafting a BMW, but I was not close to him at all, maybe 100 yards out. I got up along side him when we were back to a normal speed, he motioned 152 mph to me is what he was saying he got up to.

·
Premium Member
10,802 Posts
Your speedo has an error factor so the faster you are going the larger the difference. My speedo is off 3mph at 70 per gps, and off 4 compared to my buddies cruiser that is calibrated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, no offense but you won't be able to hit 144 anywhere (unless you've modded the bejeezus out of your car).
False. My 2015 WRX is completely stock except for a high-flow air filter and short-throw shifter. Last week I was able to very easily hit 144mph along a ~10-mile stretch of Hwy 60 in New Mexico. I did it multiple times, in fact.

Nothing happens at 144, other than you just can't go any faster. It isn't like a rev limiter that bounces or drops you down in speed. I was able to maintain the speed in 6th gear as long as I kept my foot on the gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To revive and confirm. 2015 WRX is speed limited at 144mph. On a full bolt on e85, 370whp it will stop pretty abruptly at 144mph enough that I thought I broke something. For those still wondering it can be raised with cobb pro tune but believe it can be only raised to 159mph. Didn't see an option to fully remove it. This was true in 2018 of the Cobb software, not sure if they have made changes since.

·
Premium Member
10,802 Posts
To revive and confirm. 2015 WRX is speed limited at 144mph. On a full bolt on e85, 370whp it will stop pretty abruptly at 144mph enough that I thought I broke something. For those still wondering it can be raised with cobb pro tune but believe it can be only raised to 159mph. Didn't see an option to fully remove it. This was true in 2018 of the Cobb software, not sure if they have made changes since.
There isn't a track in the USA that moving the speed limiter past 144 would save a notable time on a wrx. Infact i don't know of any Subarus really with the power to make any use of anything over 144. Even the fastest rally cars don't use it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts