Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a 2017 WRX this year to replace my wife's previous car, a Dodge Dart. She loves the car but we both couldn't believe the horrendous sound system that came from the factory. So I ordered some things from Crutchfield and went to work this past weekend. Got it all installed and wanted to post a wiring diagram to help anyone that might happen to want the same head unit I did. Here is what I ordered:

-Sony XAV-AX100 head unit
-Scosche SU2031B Bezel
-Axxess AX-SUB28SWC-6V harness
-Metra 70-1761 10pin and 6 pin harness
-Metra 40-LX11 antenna plug
-Metra AX-SUBUSB2 USB adapter cable
-Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control module <--- this is a piece of crap and not needed to get the steering wheel controls working.

Here is a quick diagram I made using the above items I purchased.
Diagram Plan

Hope this helps anybody else! Don't waste your money on a steering wheel control module like the ASWC-1 from Axxess. Just buy a 3.5mm plug pigtail from somewhere like amazon that has a right angle headphone plug on one end and has the three stripped wires sticking out the other end.
Here are some pictures of it installed:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru impreza wrx sti

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Multimedia

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Multimedia Vehicle audio

·
Registered
1 Posts
Extremely helpful!

Thank you so much for the wiring diagram!! I used your diagram and everything came out perfectly except the steering wheel control, I did kinda rig the pigtail from a 3.5mm headphone plug thats laying around. Anyway want to let you know your post was extremely helpful to me, the whole thing probably took me 5 hours but it was worth it when I plugged it in the first time and everything works!

·
Registered
247 Posts
so does this retain everything except for the factory mic for calls?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the wiring diagram!! I used your diagram and everything came out perfectly except the steering wheel control, I did kinda rig the pigtail from a 3.5mm headphone plug thats laying around. Anyway want to let you know your post was extremely helpful to me, the whole thing probably took me 5 hours but it was worth it when I plugged it in the first time and everything works!
I tried to use an old pair of headphones but couldn't get it to work. I had to buy a special 3.5mm pigtail on Amazon with the bare wires coming out the end. Worked so much easier and better than the stupid ASWC-1 module. I have that in my old Mazda 6 and it sucks. Constantly have to relearn the SWC buttons and the volume will just go all the way up by itself!

Glad the diagram helped!

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so does this retain everything except for the factory mic for calls?
Correct, but the Sony unit comes with a nice mic. You might be able to get the factory mic to work but I didn't try. On the Sony mic, you have to run the wire around the side of the dash and up the A-pillar and the headliner. It's not as bad as it sounds to do though. I did that and clipped it onto the visor and it works great.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Correct On the Sony mic, you have to run the wire around the side of the dash and up the A-pillar and the headliner. It's not as bad as it sounds to do though.
Cool thanks. Not so worried about that. I'd be getting mine installed as I'd upgrade speakers and everything too. Thinking about a Sony Android auto system

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for taking the time to make the wiring diagram; it was super useful. For me, everything is working except the rear camera. It detects when I engage reverse, but displays a "no signal" error message. Same thing when I select "rear camera" from the touch screen. The internet says that some people have trouble with connections in the 28 pin connector on the AX-SUB28SWC-6V, so I'll check that out tomorrow.

Regarding the wiring of the 12V-6V converter -- I interpreted your diagram as having blue/white from the converter and green/purple from the 28-pin connector going into one end of a crimp connector and purple/white from the supplied harness going into the other. Is that correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the converter, yes that is fine. You basically have to connect three wires into a "two-wire" connector. Doesn't matter which two go together but you do have to put two wires into one side of the connector.

It has been so long since I installed this, I am not sure what would have given you the no signal. I think I had the same issue but it was just a bad connection on one of the pins in that crappy plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I must confess I'm mystified. The plug looks good, and I re-crimped all of the related connections, which all seem solid. The only variation I made from your diagram was to connect the green parking brake wire to ground, but that shouldn't make a difference.
I wonder if it's possible that the factory harness on my car (2017 Forester, no-nav, manual transmission) is somehow configured differently from what the Metra AX-SUB28SWC-6V is expecting? That seems like a long shot, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Meg's, much thanks for the diagram. I used it as a guide to install a Sony XAV-AX5000 in my 2016 WRX. I'm a visual guy so it was perfect. Thanks again.
Just picked up a 2017 WRX this year to replace my wife's previous car, a Dodge Dart. She loves the car but we both couldn't believe the horrendous sound system that came from the factory. So I ordered some things from Crutchfield and went to work this past weekend. Got it all installed and wanted to post a wiring diagram to help anyone that might happen to want the same head unit I did. Here is what I ordered:

-Sony XAV-AX100 head unit
-Scosche SU2031B Bezel
-Axxess AX-SUB28SWC-6V harness
-Metra 70-1761 10pin and 6 pin harness
-Metra 40-LX11 antenna plug
-Metra AX-SUBUSB2 USB adapter cable
-Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control module <--- this is a piece of crap and not needed to get the steering wheel controls working.

Here is a quick diagram I made using the above items I purchased.
View attachment 296674
Hope this helps anybody else! Don't waste your money on a steering wheel control module like the ASWC-1 from Axxess. Just buy a 3.5mm plug pigtail from somewhere like amazon that has a right angle headphone plug on one end and has the three stripped wires sticking out the other end.
Here are some pictures of it installed:
View attachment 296682
View attachment 296690
View attachment 296698
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts