Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I have bought a new 2017 WRX limited with 6speed about 2 months ago. I have been babying my car and recently with about 2,600 miles on it, I have been pushing the rpms little higher. I dont redline, shift fast, dump the clutch or do anything stupid to damage the car. I just take the rpm up to about 5k but after driving like that for about 3-5 miles (5-10 minutes) on the way home, I smell slight burning smell when I park. I dont know if its oil or what not? Only thing I can compare to is clutch burning smell? but im not feathering the clutch or dumping the clutch so I dont understand if this is normal. Anyone else have similar experience?

Thanks in advance
upabove8 is online now Report Post

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but when I'm just cruising along (i.e. not shifting) my normal rpm is around 2,000-3,000 rpm. Not sure if this would make a difference or not in the smell . . . all I can say is I haven't experienced any weird smells . . . well other than my own funky smells.

·
Registered
212 Posts
This has been covered a bunch for new owners, including myself. it's common for a few months. it will go away.

I had another burning smell recently after a year of ownership that i believe was from the heater itself. but hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same smells when I finally took the WRX to the Tail of the Dragon for a good spirited run. It just smelt like the new engine & exhaust finally getting a good heat cycling. After everything baked in, the smell went away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 had a very strong smell I would vent the roof or have the window slightly open to control it. I'm at a little over 1000 miles and the smells have been reduced to normal new car smell.

·
Super Moderator
11,761 Posts
There is all sorts of assembly and manufacturing lubricants used in metal working. The smell is usually that, dust, and other good being heated and burnt off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
The only thing worse is I got my car tinted on day 4 and my car smelled like B.O. for a week! It erased the new car smell and I had to unload on the car Fabreeze. I swear every once in a while i still get a whiff. It reminded me of the seinfeld episode where a valet stunk his car up so bad he had to sell it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts