Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 WRX limited.. About 20k miles on it (bought it used a couple weeks ago).

Couple bolts are pretty bad (though someone said there maybe is a TSB for this?)

and also... hard to see looking down from the top but looks like the turbo? is rusty as well...

Is this the normal amount for these cars (my 03 SVT focus has less rust...) and I'm not expecting everything to be flawless by any means, but would like an idea of what to expect and any preventative measures to take to keep corrosion at bay.

Thanks! :D

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
I don't know if you guys see tons of snow or ice but if you do the brine, salt, and sand they use on the roads can cause surface rust on bolts to appear quickly even more so if you have wet winters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if you guys see tons of snow or ice but if you do the brine, salt, and sand they use on the roads can cause surface rust on bolts to appear quickly even more so if you have wet winters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nah, no salt here in TN.. no snow or very very rarely. Car may of been located in NC before I bought it.

Does anyone happen to have a photo of under their hood in the same area? The few videos I see of mod installs always show the person having a flawless engine and every part looks new even on a couple year old WRX lol.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more important... since bought used.. where did the car come from?
I think it was in NC for the year? before I bought it. They do get snow and I'm sure use salt. Thankfully.. only a year.. and the reason I want to get everything cleaned up and taken care of to prevent any lasting effects, or as much as is possible :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 WRX limited.. About 20k miles on it (bought it used a couple weeks ago).

Couple bolts are pretty bad (though someone said there maybe is a TSB for this?)

and also... hard to see looking down from the top but looks like the turbo? is rusty as well...

Is this the normal amount for these cars (my 03 SVT focus has less rust...) and I'm not expecting everything to be flawless by any means, but would like an idea of what to expect and any preventative measures to take to keep corrosion at bay.

Thanks! :D
My 2016 with 24000 miles on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
Rust never sleeps.

Remove oxygen from the atmosphere and no more rust. Among other things ...

Yes, perfectly normal.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rust never sleeps.

Remove oxygen from the atmosphere and no more rust. Among other things ...

Yes, perfectly normal.
Haha very true. My xploder has a good amount of underbody rust but it's also 18 years old.

I was going to treat the screws and surrounding area with some ironX and brass brush if needed and then a bit of fluid film which I've heard works wonders.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
Haha very true. My xploder has a good amount of underbody rust but it's also 18 years old.

I was going to treat the screws and surrounding area with some ironX and brass brush if needed and then a bit of fluid film which I've heard works wonders.
Not worth the effort imo. Just deal with it or park in an oxygen free environment. Wash your engine bay regularly

Check out the Mods & Pics link in my sig. My engine bay looks nearly as good now as it did in the last image I posted.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/detailing-forum/134332797-how-safely-clean-engine-bay.html

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont like how that looks. did you do a carfax with your car? i know most places that do road salt use anti corrosive additives. seems like this car was in a really moist environment
Yeah.. Carfax is clean and that is the only rust I see on the car. Underbody looks good.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2016 with 24000 miles on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Looks very similar! Thank you for the photo!

I will do the ironX and fluid film and see how that helps.. plus a full bay cleaning with simple green.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts
Looks very similar! Thank you for the photo!

I will do the ironX and fluid film and see how that helps.. plus a full bay cleaning with simple green.
:) Be sure to use common sense.

That appears to be a heat shield. Parts that get hotter like that always rust faster than those that do not. In my experience ...

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:) Be sure to use common sense.

That appears to be a heat shield. Parts that get hotter like that always rust faster than those that do not. In my experience ...
Very true. May be best to pull bolts, iron x on the shield and bolts to clean the rust off.. then high temp paint or some such.

·
Super Moderator
24,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can try, but it is a losing battle. It is only a fastening bolt and some steel shielding. Is this your first new car?

If you pull the bolts, add a little anti seize compound to the threads. https://www.permatex.com/products/l...s-anti-seize/permatex-anti-seize-lubricant-4/
Nope. This car was used (well, about a year old). I bought my 2003 SVT focus in 2002 new and a 2010 e-350 that was used and about a year old.. I just try to do as much preventative maintenance as I can to keep things looking and running nice for as long as I can :D

My 2003 SVT focus still looks pretty good after 15+ years..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts