Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided that it would be appropriate to chronicle my experience with my 2017 WRX Limited including mods, problems, thoughts, etc. So without further ado a short revuew after 7k miles.

So 7k miles in and what do I think of the car? It's a fantastic car that's loads of fun, but not without its fair share of problems. I'll split this into Exterior, Interior, and Driving.
Exterior:
The exterior is in good condition and I haven't noticed any paint chips or scratches to speak of (besides a door ding :unhappy:).

Interior:
I clean the interior every Sunday so I would be very upset if it had any issues. The interior is still in very good condition and the leather shows no signs of wear and tear. I'm glad to see that the interior seems to hold up well if taken care of. What I'm not happy with is that the dash collects dust very easily and the plastic in the back tends to rattle when the exhaust gets drony.

Driving:
7k miles in and it is still very fun to drive, but there are issues I need to fix that I'll start with. The biggest one is the non-linear throttle which makes it seem like 30% is more like 85% throttle. Then is how sloppy the shifter is in 1,2,5, and 6. Their is way too much movement in the shifter side to side in those gears. The exhaust is too quiet as well unless it's at ~1500rpm and it's very bassy. Finally, the boost drops down to about 10-11psi very shortly after reaching peak at 15.9psi before redline. Those are the cons. Besides that I love the suspension stiffness, the clutch, the throws, the steering, etc.

Now that I have that out of the way I just got my first set of mods for my WRX. Now I just got a Boomba STS, Perrin Brass Bushing, and Perrin Shifter Stop. I said that I love the throws in it right now, but that doesn't mean I would like them shorter. I will update when I get it installed with ease of installation and thoughts of the products. If anyone has any suggestions before I install it that would help, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the same car with the Perrin shift stop and bushing along with their shift knob. Together they clean up and make shifting smooth and clean.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Also I recommend the Cobb Access port, their stage 1 map will smooth things out and get rid of the crappy throttle response.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yup, do the Cobb stage 1 map. The dealer loaded mine up with 300 miles on the ODO. Even though I'm staying under the 4000rpm limit (still breaking in) the throttle response is perfectly linear, and doesn't surge forward like you stomped the gas. From forum research, it looks like the OEM tune commands nearly 100% throttle with the pedal only 1/3 the way down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
March or February I will be getting the Cobb AP, Invidia N1 dual, Invidia Catless DP, MAP CAI, and MAP TMIC and CP. I've heard great things about the Cobb AP, but I would rather do the tune and everything else all at the same time. Just my thoughts on it. Also will be uploading a stock dyno graph from VD after this snow clears up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a bit of free chicken MAPerformance sells the COBB AP with a custom map they tuned their WRX to that is better than the COBB OTS maps. Also you get all the standard COBB maps...including the stage 1 you reference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's actually the reason I am going to be buying the AP and other stuff from them. They have that free custom tune and they show actual data for all their mods.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes they do, it sucks you have to use their CAI for their map/tune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So what is everyone's thoughts on Virtual Dyno? Is it worth it and how bad are the results if you are not on a 100% flat road?

·
Æternum
15,465 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I put in the Boomba STS, Perrin Shift Stop, and Perrin Brass Bushing. It was a massive PIA to install the STS, but it was SO worth it. The shifting experience is so much better than stock. It's less rubbery and has less play everywhere along with noticeably shorter throws. The shifter being shorter looks better in my opinion and the shifter being moved toward the driver actually doesn't look bad. Overall, I would install it again because it was definitely worth it. If there are any questions about install or feel please ask.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts