Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Looking for some help with a headlight issue I am having. Last week I was driving my 2017 WRX Limited MT in the daytime and when I pulled up behind another car at a light, I noticed in the reflection on that cars bumper that something on my car was flashing. I pulled over and got out to check and saw that the low beams in both of the headlights were flashing, almost like strobe lights. Since it was daylight, the headlight were not on (I have them set to Auto), so I switched the headlights on and checked them again and they were working normally with no flashing. Then I turned them back to Auto and that shut the low beams, but they started flashing again. The issue only happens when the car is on, the parking brake is disengaged, and the headlights are off. The headlights work fine when they are on, so I have been driving around day and night with the low beams on to avoid the flashing issue.

I have done a lot of custom work to these headlights but I did not touch the low beams. They are still the stock LED low beams that come on the Limited edition WRX. I did however open the headlights and add the accessories listed below. I did this like a year ago and it has all been working fine until last week. I have not made any changes to the car recently so not really sure where to look. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue? See video of the issue below.

Headlight Modifications:
  • Subispeed DRL harness for Boomerang (C-light)
  • Morimoto XBT RGB LED C-Lights
  • Profile Prism RGB 80mm LED Halo Rings
  • Profile Prism RGB 70mm LED Halo Rings
  • Morimoto XBT RGB Bluetooth Controller
  • Profile Prism Blue Demon eyes (in both low and high beams)
  • Replaced Halogen High Beams with Profile Hi-Lens LED Projectors
Other lighting modifications:
  • Valenti Euro Winker Tapturn LED Hyperblink module
  • LED Turn signals (Front and back)
Things I have tried that did not fix the issue:
  • Check for loose or disconnected wires
  • Checked for blown fuses (May not have checked all or the correct ones)
  • Disconnected the Subispeed DRL harness I had installed and reconnected factory connections
  • Replaced the Tapturn Hyperblink module with the factory one

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Looks like they are getting intermittent or low voltage. Hard telling what you've done to cause it. Modifying headlights is always a terrible idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response and sorry for not responding but I have been very busy of late. I did however take another look at the issue and did see that the headlights were getting partial voltage when they were off. I was able to figure out the issue was with a loose connection in the DRL harness and so I soldered that back together and that fixed the flashing issue.

Unfortunately now I have another issue. Usually when the headlights are off, my C-lights and halos would be on as my DRL's. When I turn the headlights on, the C-lights and halos would stay on and the headlights would just turn on. Now for some reason when I turn the headlights on, the low beams work normally but all the other lighting I have in my headlights turns off. The C-lights and halos do come back on if I turn the headlights off, and they also come back on if I have the low beams on and I turn the high beams on, which I thought was very strange. I checked all my wiring and cannot figure out what could be wrong. I feel like it might be some component in the headlight system that has gone bad, like a relay or something but not sure. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this to happen?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts