ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to replace the underwhelming HU and speakers in my 2017 WRX Premium without navigation and without the Upgraded Harmon kardon sound system.

Was scrolling through the forums here already and was wondering if anyone had any luck with the Alpine ILX W650 HU.

I want to keep the factory back up camera and the steering wheel audio controls and was so unsure as to whether or not they'd work with this unit. Has anyone set this unit up in theirs? Or what has worked the best for them.

I'm also going to replace the factory speakers with newer Kicker speakers in the doors.

I've seen a lot of people mention the DPS and amplifier to fix this situation but didnt want to really step into the realm of the unknown with the DPS

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thinking also of swapping the head unit. I have replaced all the speakers with the Kickers and installed a 12" Kicker subwoofer and that makes a big difference. From my research, swapping the HU and keeping the steering wheel controls will be pretty costly. I wish that you could display waze or goggle maps on the 2018 screen. If this was possible, I probably wouldn't think about swapping out the HU.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The fact that Subaru is behind in the audio/electronics department sucks especially with the average age of people buying a WRX/STi. Replacing the factory HU that has some type of CarPlay is really helpful if you don’t have nav. A new HU also gives the ability to play higher quality music that will sound better. Obviously cost is always a factor in decisions but you can get a decent HU with CarPlay for ~$300 (more if you want obviously) the unit to control the steering wheel is ~$60 (for most HUs) you MAY need a piece to keep the USB and aux input working (usually that’s cheap) and some wiring. Crutchfield will make a harness to make install really easy & they usually have deals on wiring you need. Install is where brick & mortar stores make there $ so if you can do it yourself it can cost A LOT less. I’m not an expert installer but I’ve installed HUs before, it was generally easy, and this was before you could look up anything you needed on YouTube. Just my experience.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I checked into Crutchfield, was looking at HU that was around $699, the add on harness that allowed steering wheel controls was another $300.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Damn, what HU you looking at? I just looked at the cheaper alpine halo9 without the HDMI connection (& whatever else it’s missing) and it’s $660 with the meastro unit that gives steering wheel control and will also show AFR, intake temps, coolant temps, oil temps, battery voltage, tire pressure etc. If your looking at a navigation HU because you don’t want to run maps off your phone to the HU via CarPlay that may make it more expensive. Still $300 for steering wheel connection seems excessive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went back and checked and you're right, there are cheaper harness to connect for strong when controls. I saw one for $107 on sale for $79. The head unit is the Kenwood DNX696S with Navigation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just finishing up a head unit install (Pioneer 4500nex) into my '19 Limited. If you go with auto harness house (Google them, this is my first post and I can't post links yet) they can help you get everything you need. The wiring install was almost completely plug and play. I'd say it was my easiest HU install (been doing this for awhile) if it weren't for the awful 10mm screws located behind the dash that are damn near impossible to get to. If you need any help just let me know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts