ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up my first wrx and am finally getting a chance to go over and inspect everything. Car has 34k and had one previous owner. Never been modded. Dealer overfilled the crap out of engine oil so I will be taking care of that. I went to check trans/gear oil and it’s noticeably below the low mark. I have new fluids on the way. I’m wondering if these dip sticks are accurate? Should I be driving it before I top off/replace the gear oil? Or am I just being paranoid?
87105247-2B6B-4F7C-AC20-1A9E78D7C803.jpeg
D3C26CC6-4D47-4B44-9593-42678C4CBBD8.jpeg

Thanks!

·
Æternum
19,858 Posts
Gear oil replacement is part of the 30k mile service. Has that been done already?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had the 30k service check performed at the dealer. But who knows if they actually did it. And if they did I see no reason for it to be that low

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recently picked up my first wrx and am finally getting a chance to go over and inspect everything. Car has 34k and had one previous owner. Never been modded. Dealer overfilled the crap out of engine oil so I will be taking care of that. I went to check trans/gear oil and it’s noticeably below the low mark. I have new fluids on the way. I’m wondering if these dip sticks are accurate? Should I be driving it before I top off/replace the gear oil? Or am I just being paranoid?
View attachment 323793 View attachment 323794

Thanks!

Check your fluids level in the morning, before you start the car, and you'll get a better idea then.

If you are mechanically inclined, do the fluids yourself, and have piece of mind. Stealerships treat the cars like a meat market, the quiker they sell a car without investing in it a whole lot the better for them.

Oil look clean so it was probably changed, just recheck it in the morning again (make sure car is leveled)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All fluids were checked when car is cold and on a level surface. I brought it to a different dealer because frankly I don’t have the time right now and it’s cold af in my garage lol. The second dealer verified that engine oil was over full and trans/diff fluid was low. They took care of it for me. I also brought this to the attention to the dealer that sold me the car and claimed to have “checked the fluids”. The service manager tried to tell me there is no way to check trans fluid without draining and refilling. I was baffled. There is a freaking dipstick lol pull it out and look. All I’m doing is trying to prevent a warranty claim. But anyways the car is all good now. Thank you for your reply!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts