Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched and can't seem to find the correct answer on here.

I am replacing the factory head unit without the 5 pin backup camera plug. I have installed the new Pioneer AVH-2330NEX and everything works except for the factory back up camera and the steering wheel controls.
When I put the car in reverse the screen on the unit changes so it knows I am in reverse however I get no video signal. Also when I plug in the Axxess ASWC-1 the volume just continues to go up until it maxes out. What this tells me is I have something wrong with the 28 pin connector wiring however I am not sure what.

Everything else seems to work correctly as CarPlay works so the factory USB is working. I put in a DVD and drove down the street so the by-pass is working. All audio seems to be working thru all speakers. Have not tested hands free calling yet as I was waiting to run new mic last.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Crutchfield is a good place to find out what you need. Give them a call if you can't find the info online.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well good news is I have my steering wheel controls working now and with the help of Metra phone support that was just as simple as a reset of the module for the steering wheel controls and holding the volume up will it boots. This retained the volume up and down, track left and right, and mute buttons. The back button seems to function somewhat however not as it should. Still have not been able to test call buttons as I have not paired my bluetooth with it yet.

I am awaiting a call back from Metra to hopefully get the camera working. Apparently this harness is not confirmed to work with the 2017 WRX as of yet.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great but I will update once Metra calls back to see if we get it working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
David at AE64.com is able to provide you with the 5 pin camera retention harness. It will provide you with a 6v power lead, ground, and video out RCA. Looks just like this http://ae64.com/images-e41/16-pin_camera_harness_LG6.jpg but the RCA is male and the connector is 5 pin vs the 16 pin in the picture.

Also I used Maestro RR in order to provide the 6v power to the harness. Not exactly sure what you would be able to use to provide it but I know there are solutions provided by others either here or on Nasioc's forums.

I have a 2018 WRX that I just replaced the head unit in. So it's all pretty fresh with me right now. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the delay but here is an update. The camera problem was self installed as I just had it plugged into the wrong input on the pioneer head unit itself. The 5 pin connector would not work for me as I have the 6.2" screen. I have provided a list of everything I ordered to make this easier on everyone else. The only issue I seem to be having now is poor radio reception. I have the power attenna wire going to the power of the main power lead of the head unit itself. Could not having a proper ground cause poor radio reception?

I purchased the following.

Pioneer AVH-2330NEX - Pioneer head unit. I can provide pictures later.

AX-SUB28SWC-6V - This will retain your factory camera along with coming prewired for the steering wheel control adapter.

70-1761 - Normal speaker wiring harnesses.

AX-SUBUSB2 - Will retain your factory USB port. Can confirm Apple CarPlay does work with this.

40-LX11 - Standard Metra AM/FM antenna harness

ASWC-1 - Steering wheel controls

142SU2031B - Gloss Black Dash Kit

MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface for Select Pioneer Receivers - Do not have a part number as I ordered thru Amazon however I can confirm this works also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alkaholiq: thank you for the information/ list on your successful install. I searched for hours online looking for a verified list of adapters, converters, and harnesses in order to install a head unit in my base model '17 WRX, while keeping steering wheel, backup camera, etc. functionality. So many inconsistent posts, or people not mentioning that they have a premium edition, or people with different year models.

While I respect Crutchfield, in the specific case of the 2017 WRX, their site was less than helpful.

Thank you again! Getting a Pioneer AVH-2300nes (for Christmas, thx Wifey) and wanted to make sure i had everything needed prior to tearing apart dash. Only want to do it once. Even connecting and running wires for an amp, even though it will be quite a while before I will be getting said amp/subs, just so I don't have to take everything apart again. I'll update upon completion of HU install with results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts