Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My Subaru is a little over a year old with 21,000k miles, Ive kept up with oil changes and it is COMPLETELY stock. I have noticed a high pitched noise when idle and during driving. When driving the noise is higher in frequency. Please have a look at the videos, taken while the car is idle. The car is completely warmed up here after a 20 minute drive. Anyone else having these noises? Figured Id ask around before I bring into the dealer to see what I am dealing with.

https://youtu.be/5jZatRM13tA
https://youtu.be/533Q2u4r8Ow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
throw out bearing

Should i replace it or nah? Does it really need to be messed with? Even if it is covered under warranty. I believe “if it aint broke dont fix it”. I can only imagine the cascade of crap that will happen or the dealer will give me after the fix. Esp if some noob is messing around in their with tools. Did you have the same problem and Or had it fixed?

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
I would have it replaced. I agree it sounds like a tob. It almost has a sound like an idler pulley too. Is it louder towards the back of the engine bay? It’s hard to tell from the first video because the engine noise is loud.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had my ToB replaced. No problems since. That noise will get worse and drive you crazy. Get it fixed.

However, the pricks at the stealership did break my engine cover and decided to not say anything. I just discovered it the other day, by chance. It does make me wonder what else they may have done and didn't say anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have it replaced. I agree it sounds like a tob. It almost has a sound like an idler pulley too. Is it louder towards the back of the engine bay? It’s hard to tell from the first video because the engine noise is loud.
It is louder towards the back. Would that indicate something else besides the TOB?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
op, what production date is your car? says on the door card.

louder towards the back would indicate a TOB. take it to the dealer. but go over your car thoroughly before you take it home too.
My production date is October 2016. Will this be an issue? I fear the dealer will tell me they “Dont hear anything or they cant find an issue with it”

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 17 WRX. The throw out bearing whistles a bit when it's damp outside. It only does it til the car warms up, then it's gone.Otherwise, mo noise whatsoever. In my opinion, getting it taken apart at the dealership, you're just asking for trouble. Opening the original factory seal is asking for it. I'm not going to touch it. ? Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
11,760 Posts
I have a 17 WRX. The throw out bearing whistles a bit when it's damp outside. It only does it til the car warms up, then it's gone.Otherwise, mo noise whatsoever. In my opinion, getting it taken apart at the dealership, you're just asking for trouble. Opening the original factory seal is asking for it. I'm not going to touch it. ? Just my 2 cents.
Doesn’t sound like the factory is doing a much better job.

If it’s bad and under warranty replace the part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So I had the car taken to the dealer. They replaced the flywheel, clutch, and bearing under warranty no questions asked. Clutch feels different with a lot of free play noticed no noise at all after receiving the vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soooo actually about that previous post.... I got the car back today during my lunch break didn’t hear anything but then I heard the same “tob” noise on the way home from work but it’s it’s not as bad. Same frequency just not as loud. I do have to mention it’s 30 degrees out and it’s cold af out here in New England. Hmmm starting to think it’s not the bearing folks. Bout to say f it and let it be. In the end it is a SUBARUUUUUU hahahahaa. Clutch feels super soft now kinda miss my old one :/ ill stop complaining now and turn up the volume.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts