Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 wrx. I have very little knowledge when it comes to e-tuning an engine and I have Two quick questions:
1. I found on internet that some of the things that may be modified during an tuning are: boost pressure, ignition timing, raising the speed, and rev and torque limiters. Are those correct, Is something else that gets modified, or something is NOT change in a wrx?
2. Since I have a limited knowledge I will heavily trust whatever the e-tuner says looks right; however, I would like to know what I should look for in the data log (Cobb access port) to know that a good job has been done and nothing is wrong with the engine. The goal is to conservatively increase engine power.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Watch your Boost, Feedback Knock, Fine Knock Learn, and DAM, essentially. There are plenty of other factors.

If you're dead set on Etuning, Contact Eric @ Torqued Performance, Bren Tuning, or if you want the best of the best, JR from JR Tuned also does E-Tunes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should I be looking for in the boost? What is the max boost the car can reach safely (conservatively)? Should I look for sudden boost drops? How about the feedback knock, fine knock and DAM, what should I be looking on those? All I want is to learn some basics so I will know if the etuner is doing something crazy and make me believe is OK. Also, would it make a difference to do the etuner now in the winter vs in the spring or summer? Finally, once the tunning is done if I am going to higher elevation, should I worry about something? Should I get it back to the original map if I will spend a significant time at a higher elevation since the atmospheric pressure changes? Thanks so much for the help.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
hmartine said:
What should I be looking for in the boost?
The calibrator can tell you what you should be looking for with boost.

hmartine said:
What is the max boost the car can reach safely (conservatively)? Should I look for sudden boost drops?
There is no one answer to that question. As a calibrator, you're making adjustments to boost, ignition, fuel, and cam timing to make power. What's "safe" for one car is not "safe" for another when only looking at boost alone.

hmartine said:
How about the feedback knock, fine knock and DAM, what should I be looking on those?
In an ideal world, you never see a value different than 0 for either knock parameter, and 1 for DAM. That said, you have an active knock control system, so you will get some knock here and there. You basically don't want repeatable knock in a particular RPM/Load, as that's typically a sign that you're running too much advance in that cell. You never want DAM to go below 1, because that means you're pulling timing globally.

hmartine said:
Also, would it make a difference to do the etuner now in the winter vs in the spring or summer? Finally, once the tunning is done if I am going to higher elevation, should I worry about something? Should I get it back to the original map if I will spend a significant time at a higher elevation since the atmospheric pressure changes? Thanks so much for the help.
That's what the compensation tables are for. A good calibrator will have a general idea what values should be there. You might need a touch-up as the seasons change (every car is different), but you'd only know that with datalogging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts