Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im from Alberta Canada where it is SUPER COLD -35°C and whatnot, now i want to plug in my car when i can but i dont see a block heater plugin. i was under the impression it was now a standard thing in canada? now if it isnt, i guess ill get one installed. as for wear and tear, how bad is it to not plug in your car in these temperatures? other than idling for too long during the warm ups, it shouldnt be too bad for a couple more days or until i get into the shop right? i mean i see cars everywhere down the street that arent plugged in....sucks that it wasnt stock and the dealership mever mentioned it to me.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
It never gets anywhere near that cold here, but does flirt with -18 C or lower on occasion. That's below zero F.

All I have ever done was allow to the engine to idle for a minute tops, than just drive conservatively until the it warms up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It never gets anywhere near that cold here, but does flirt with -18 C or lower on occasion. That's below zero F.

All I have ever done was allow to the engine to idle for a minute tops, than just drive conservatively until the it warms up.
oh man i couldnt imagine doing that in these temperatures. its really cold. -18 would be a dream right now

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Sorry, that is all the experience I can offer. If the engine starts, and you take it easy, I'd think you'd be OK. Then again, I've never had temps much below -20 C.

Stay warm!

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I bought a block heater from the dealer and installed it myself. I have it on a timer so it kicks on a couple hours before I leave for work each morning.

There is a noticeable difference in the way the car cranks over with heater vs without. Don't know about any actual wear and tear though.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Don't know about any actual wear and tear though.
If it allows the engine to warm up faster I'd bet it helps. How much? Who knows ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 2008 WRX here in Calgary on a minus 31 bitterly cold day. The plug for the block heater was at the bottom of the engine, poking out through the lower grill on the left side. You should be able to see the cable strapped to the hose to the radiator and follow it from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts