Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 2017 WRX for about 3 weeks now and I miss the magnaflow exhaust I had on my previous car. Exhaust is always one of my first mods for my cars. With that in mind and the fact I still have warranty I wanted to look into what exhausts I can consider. I've considered going with the STI exhaust upgrade from SOA, the Cobb catback exhaust, and the Magnaflow. I'd love to hear some feedback on these if anyone has them.

On my last set up my shop upgraded my whole piping for the magnaflow exhaust, would that be an issue with the warranty?

Also with the Cobb upgrades will the J pipe resonator be needed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's the thing, for a catback, you don't need a tune. If you change out the Jpipe and or go with a turbo back, you'll need to pull the secondary restrictor pill and also run a tune. For warranty purposes, it is up to the dealer as they could say well X co tributes to Y. Some dealers are prickish others are cool but obviously won't warranty the 'said' installed part.

I went with the TurboXS Jpipe and Corsa catback. Running a pro tune and EGR block off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Directly relating to warranty an axle back or cat back would likely only have impact on corrosion coverage for those parts only. Turbo back will absolutely challenge any chance for warranty work on engine or drivetrain issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So in terms of modifications, what is the J pipe for basically. I assumed it would have the same affect as upgrading the piping on my last set up with the magnaflow. Sounds like it may be something else.

Does anyone have insight on the magnaflow exhaust? The shop I usually go to specializes with magnaflow so if its a good exhaust I may go with them if the price is right.

·
Registered
784 Posts
So in terms of modifications, what is the J pipe for basically. I assumed it would have the same affect as upgrading the piping on my last set up with the magnaflow. Sounds like it may be something else.

Does anyone have insight on the magnaflow exhaust? The shop I usually go to specializes with magnaflow so if its a good exhaust I may go with them if the price is right.
J-pipe is where your power gain will come from (with a proper safe tune of course). One word of caution for the Magna flow exhausts for our cars since I did run their catback part #15472 on my car. They hang extremely low at the Y-pipe portion since they are one of the only ones that are 3" all the way through the axlebacks. Thus even on just lowering springs you'll be scraping it around. When I had a car of 4 people and luggage in the back it was touching the floor with the car just parked there. We had to abort and get a diff car to go with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah I had magnflow as my first and idk about you Steemax but I would hit a puddle and the metallic clunks would happen like a hot pipe being exposed to cold water sound, I ended up selling and picking up a Q300 but the drone was getting to me. Sold that and picked up the Corsa Performance exhaust and have been happy since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts