Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently had TGV and EGR deletes along with a Grimmspeed catted j-pipe installed (and restrictor pill removal) and pro tune for my 2017 WRX. The j-pipe is mated to the SPT catback and the exhaust gives a nice deep grumble, but gets a little droning at highway speed. It doesn't bother me so much as my wife so I'm now I'm looking at better options. The shop that did my tune has the Mishimoto catback as well as Grimmspeed catback in stock, and can get others in as well. YouTube clips seem to make the Grimmspeed resonated catback the quietest sounding, but the Mishimoto has a nice deeper rumble. I know, it's hard to discern exhaust notes on YouTube and I really need to hear them in person.

Aside from keeping the wife happy, I'm wondering if going to a 3" pipe like these aftermarket catbacks are would give any higher power figures than the SPT catback, which is 2.5" as I am told? I know with the stock j-pipe, the catback doesn't offer any performance gains, but now at stage 2, I'm guessing there is an increase in exhaust flow that might make a difference?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
Ets and Corsa are popular.

Some people claim power gains. I've yet to see any substantiated proof of that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Add a resonator to kill the drone. I have the ETS ‘quiet’ CBE w/ resonator. It sounds great! Zero drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the ets quiet no drone and sounds great not to loud not to quiet. I had the ets Extreme before and had to add a resonator because it droned a bit and was pretty loud

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll look into the ETS Quiet. I'm interested in a deeper tone since the SPT sounds a little farty with the j-pipe. Not sure a resonator would deepen the tone and I don't want to really spend much trying to experiment.

I notice Grimmspeed's catback has a flex section in it. Does the WRX exhaust need a flex section? Didn't think the exhaust moved all that much. If the stock exhaust lacks a flex section, I'd imagine there really isn't a need for it?

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
It can help by allowing the expanding and contracting metal to move without pulling on gaskets or rattling. Had my exhaust had one it likely would have leaked less and been easier on exhaust gaskets

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll look into the ETS Quiet. I'm interested in a deeper tone since the SPT sounds a little farty with the j-pipe. Not sure a resonator would deepen the tone and I don't want to really spend much trying to experiment.
The STI version of the STP has a resonated midpipe that can be swapped out with yours. I picked up the entire STI STP catback used for $200 on craigslist. Maybe you can find one cheap or know someone that will swap out their resonated midpipe to let you hear how it sounds. I currently have the catted non-resonated Cobb J-pipe and the resonated STP exhaust on my 2015 and I think it sounds perfect. Not too much louder, no rasp, and certainly not farty. Just a nice deep tone. Maybe it could save you a few bones.

Edit: Full disclosure, I haven't had this setup for all that long so I haven't really done any long road trip drone tests. The longest highway trip I've taken was about 45 minutes and I didn't seem to notice anything obnoxious. Here's a video of a similar setup (different brand j-pipe) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eytiqLNIj-8

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update to this thread. I met up with some other owners that had various TBEs and I ended up going with a Cobb catback. It was pricier than the others, but it sounded the most mellow and the quietest inside the cabin. For me, that was worth it since my wife is now fine with the way things sound inside the car. So long as her majesty is pleased, I can keep tinkering on my car as I like. Probably will be looking at the Cobb FlexFuel kit next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts