Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Unless you coat everything in fluid film it's going to happen anywhere they salt roads for winter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cars come with a 5 year rust warranty (I don't know what it entails or every seen someone even claim to have gotten something replaced under than warranty) so that might be a place to start if it causes issue..

but on second thought, aftering reading the below information, maybe not.
https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2016.html

·
Registered
404 Posts
Cars come with a 5 year rust warranty (I don't know what it entails or every seen someone even claim to have gotten something replaced under than warranty) so that might be a place to start if it causes issue..

but on second thought, aftering reading the below information, maybe not.
https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2016.html
Yeah, everything Subaru warranties is very cleverly covered by exceptions and clauses. They could save a lot of time and trouble by just saying -- After purchase, you're on your own.

After purchasing an AP I love my Subaru, but I'll never own another one.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Yeah, everything Subaru warranties is very cleverly covered by exceptions and clauses. They could save a lot of time and trouble by just saying -- After purchase, you're on your own.

After purchasing an AP I love my Subaru, but I'll never own another one.
Yeah that's entirely an only a problem with Subaru. No other car company on the planet goes above and beyond to try and eliminate expenditures for warranty work.

99% of the people who need warranty work get it without hassle. Stop being obtuse

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Yeah that's entirely an only a problem with Subaru. No other car company on the planet goes above and beyond to try and eliminate expenditures for warranty work.

99% of the people who need warranty work get it without hassle. Stop being obtuse
Sadly not in years

·
Registered
404 Posts

Nobody does it better - or worse, depending on how you look at it - than Subaru.

My apologies, oh self-proclaimed intellectual...

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
Nobody does it better - or worse, depending on how you look at it - than Subaru.

Sorry. I have to point out blatant BS so that casual readers have actual facts and not some fabricated garbage.

I've owned vehicles from multiple manufacturers including Chrysler, Chevrolet BMW, Subaru, GM, BMW, and their subsidiaries. The exact same complaints people have with Subaru exist across the board. Every forum is littered with posts blasting how they companies go out of their way to unreasonably deny warranty claims.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Truth. In my eyes Kia is the worst (or any dealership in the state of Michigan honestly, doesn't matter the brand). But with my Kia experience, Kia Motors customer support refused to back me and pretty much forced my hand into contacting a lawyer. Few rounds of correspondence from the lawyer later and they resolved the issue. The problem? Faulty remote key. Less than a year old remote start key. Dealer I bought from probably gave me old keys. This ordeal was months long and they "took apart" the entire remote start system twice, over faulty keys. Literally the worst experience I've ever had with a car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue and mine is a 2016. I brought this up to the dealership and was told that it's a normal thing. That the rust is actually from the anti-freeze fumes. I kinda of chuckled when I heard that and the tech came out and told me the same thing. I kinda find it hard to believe but to be honest I don't know what the rust is about. I still have the cover under my car so it's kinda hard to believe how salt would get all the way up there.

Now, is there a way to get rid of it?

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
The rust is oxidation. Moisture, salt, pollution, oxygen, cleaners, and many other things cause it. It develops the fastest on aluminum and raw steel. Surface rust can actually prevent further corrosion deeper in the steel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just sanded it down and sprayed it with fluid film... Had to stop overthinking it... I usually get like this the first couple of month I get a new car... Over inspect things lol

·
Æternum
15,953 Posts

If I were Subaru, I would do precisely the same thing.

Subaru is no different in closing legal loopholes than any other manufacturer -- particularly Japanese automotive OEMs.

The problem that you are attempting to identify is that dealerships are often VERY comprehensive about warranty investigations. When you consider the fan base this makes a modicum of sense.

Go on any Facebook Subaru group and you will see myriad of posts on the topic "HELP! I put modifications on my 2018 WRX and it blew up!" and very certainly the next bit of advice is "Put the car back to stock and take it to the dealership." If you want to complain about warranty denial, don't blame Subaru -- blame the gasbag unethical owners that try to dupe the system. If you're going to mod the car, great! But the burden of risk is now on you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can agree with you to a certain degree Zax, the issue I see (that others probably aren't with their return to stock posts) is that dealers like to see one modification and instantly say everything is void when warranty is not that simple. They still have obligation to prove this modification caused this part to fail. And while putting on a numerous engine mods and then having the engine fail, you probably caused it, but depending on the failure there's potential you didn't. But most dealers won't do the work for proper investigation, and most consumers wouldn't pay for the work if it was determined they were at fault. Kind of a catch-22.

·
Æternum
15,953 Posts
People need to stop thinking like that.

If you modify your car, you take on the burden of risk. I'm tired of hearing "Magnuson Moss act this, Magnuson Moss act that."

Owners need to be more responsible. If the car is your daily driver and you don't have the cashflow or savings for an immediate engine or transmission replacement should that occur, do NOT modify the car. It's that simple! Don't count on a manufacturer to cover your ass and clean up after your mistake. Oh, and if a modification MAY have caused the failure, don't expect the manufacturer to PROVE anything. That's a massive oversimplification of the MMA.

·
Super Moderator
11,562 Posts
People need to stop thinking like that.

If you modify your car, you take on the burden of risk. I'm tired of hearing "Magnuson Moss act this, Magnuson Moss act that."

Owners need to be more responsible. If the car is your daily driver and you don't have the cashflow or savings for an immediate engine or transmission replacement should that occur, do NOT modify the car. It's that simple! Don't count on a manufacturer to cover your ass and clean up after your mistake. Oh, and if a modification MAY have caused the failure, don't expect the manufacturer to PROVE anything. That's a massive oversimplification of the MMA.
My understanding of that entire thing has led me to believe that it's not about performance parts, or any part designed to change the operation of the vehicle or its systems. It's to protect the consumer from warranty denial when they use non OEM factory replacement parts.

·
Æternum
15,953 Posts
My understanding of that entire thing has led me to believe that it's not about performance parts, or any part designed to change the operation of the vehicle or its systems. It's to protect the consumer from warranty denial when they use non OEM factory replacement parts.
Probably. I have little knowledge of legal stuffs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts