Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys so.... I have my 17 WRX and all i have done to it is a catback exhaust the Invidia R400 and my inspection tome is up. Does anyone know whith all of this new BS if i will pass or not?

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Unless your inspection station uses a dB reading at the tailpipe, a catback should have no impact on your ability to pass inspection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i agree but now with the new camera systems basically everywhere in the bay will i be denied because they see an aftermarket part?

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Yianaras said:
Yes i agree but now with the new camera systems basically everywhere in the bay will i be denied because they see an aftermarket part?
Where do you live? Is exhaust volume a part of the inspection process?

Aftermarket (non-factory) window tint has basically been illegal in NY per vehicle/trafflic law for years, but it was never a part of the inspection process until this year. Therefore, while the tint was illegal, you wouldn't be failed inspection as a result of the vehicle violating VTL. NY has now imposed that tint be a part of the annual inspection process, and is therefore, a reason in which you might fail now.

Where are you located, and what are the inspection requirements in your area?

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
All I need to pass is working lights, horn, brakes, seat belts, insurance, and some sort of exhaust coming off of the engine. Sounds like requirements might be stricter where you live, but it's hard to say whether you will pass or not without knowing where you live and what the requirements are to pass inspection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sry should have clarified. Im in Massachusetts more specific the cambridge are. This state recently just became the strictest car inspection state with this new system that can fail you for any changes made to any stock components. I have window tint but it is within the legal limit for the front windows i am only worries about my catback exhaust wich is also resonated.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
So what you are saying is that if your OEM muffler falls off and you replace it with a cheap aftermarket one that still keeps the sound within legal limits, you can get hassled at an inspection???

I think this cannot be the case. If it were, the state would be severely curtailing the aftermarket car parts market. I think that it is more a matter of them looking for "do you have a muffler?" and "is it quiet enough?" NOT just "is it an aftermarket muffler?"

You should be fine.......... unless that R400 system is loud.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
fkin commies

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sry guys I posted the info but it did not go through the first time. I live in Massachusetts AKA the nanny state! Good news is i did not get a strict inspection and i passed so for now crisis averted thanks again for the info everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts