Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2017 WR Blue Pearl Limited recently. Took the family on vacation and got a nasty door ding in drivers side door from the valet parking service. Long story short, this took some paint off so paint-less dent removal is no option but this can be popped out and touch up added. I was looking into factory body side moldings and I think that this may cover the spot but I don't know where this 'lies" from bottom of door. Looking further, Subaru has a template that is used to locate the body molding. Does anyone have dimensions from bottom of door to where the factory molding bottom and top would lie? I wanted to see if this would cover the spot. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
First, we are very sorry your new 2017 got injured! Question, is the "ding" on the door itself, or on the "rocker panel" below and behind the rear door, for if on either door, the OEM side underskirts will obviously not help. [Why I am thinking your dent is on the below-door rocker.]

Just went out and looked at my OEM side underskirt and except for just before the rear wheels, it goes from front to back completely under the entire rocker panel. Might this Subaru picture help?

If after looking at the picture, you think the skirt might hide it, I will go out and take precise measurements and post back.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Measuring from the bottom rear corner of the door itself when opened, the molding starts right at 12" and the top is at 13.5". It's pretty consistent width for the front doors, but the rear widens out to the rear and ends several inches before the end of the door.

Hope that helps, and that the molding covers the dent. I installed mine myself, and it was a piece of cake with the templates that come with it.

Reactions: WRX John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. The damage is on the drivers door itself, not the rocker panel or extensions (skirts) behind the rear door. If I understood 90Duck's response, the dent will be just below the body side molding if I purchased and installed. Carefully using a tape measure and using contour of the door, the center of the 'ding" is 11 3/8" from bottom of the door. Best bet may be to use Paintless dent repair to correct ding, small dab of touch up to cover scratch and side molding installation (this may attract your eyes from touch up paint as it will be slightly below). Thanks again, Brian

·
Registered
120 Posts
I measured using a ruler since that's all I had available. 12" was a straight shot end-on while the door was open from the bottom of the door to the bottom of the trim. I would think it would visually distract enough that you wouldn't notice the ding if you put it at the prescribed location, or you could go all crazy on it and actually move it down 1/2 inch and cover it right up.

I was really paranoid I was going to get a door ding between the time I picked up the car and when I got the moldings installed. I personally prefer the look of the car with the moldings, but others like it cleaner.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Thank you 90Duck for that precise and helpful info to the OP. Now I am getting it, that SubieWRX20135spd, you are considering "body side molding." I did not even remember it was offered (was not an option I chose when I ordered my car -- so out of my mind entirely).

Questions and thoughts please SubieWRX20135spd, since that body side molding is $265 list, even discounted, around $225 delivered, and since you are going to need to have at least touch up paint, even if you own touch up paint already, it would cost about $225 for the "molding coverup option."

I am surprised that the valet service is not paying 100% to have it properly repaired by a body shop of your choosing regardless of cost?

Do you like the side molding? If you were ordering a new 2017 right now, would you order it? If not, I personally would not consider that option.

What kind of an estimate have you gotten from your own-chosen body shop to have the door fully fixed, including the dent pounded out, and the door properly and totally painted -- so your car looks as good as it did before the valet screwed it up?

If that estimate is (and I am picking a wild amount), $335 to have your chosen body shop do the work excellently, and your door mounding solution is going to cost $225, if you would not have chosen when you bought/ordered your car, is it worth $100 to live with it, looking at it each and every time your walk up to your car. And if the difference is even $200, is that worth it to you?

If you actively like/want the door molding and would have added it if you had ordered your car from scratch, the door molding coverup is a great solution to you.

Only you know what is best for you. Best of luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Excellent points John. I ordered mine with the car and the dealer gave me wholesale price (supposedly), and I chose to install them myself (super easy) to save money, although now I have no recollection of how much I actually spent on them. Coincidentally, I just got a sale email from Subaru Online Parts and the molding was $179 on their site, but they charge $20 to ship, so $200.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update on damage

Excellent points John. I ordered mine with the car and the dealer gave me wholesale price (supposedly), and I chose to install them myself (super easy) to save money, although now I have no recollection of how much I actually spent on them. Coincidentally, I just got a sale email from Subaru Online Parts and the molding was $179 on their site, but they charge $20 to ship, so $200.
I have been fighting the valet service and hotel (Omni Shoreham in DC). Had 2 valets walk around car and note no damage before parking told me 'don't worry, we are professionals'-yea right. Next day had door ding and it has been escalated to regional East coast manager and Omni Shoreham GM. A lot of BS, camera footage that was grainy, blah blah blah Bottom line is they wont take responsibility as damage to car was "too small" a dent. This too small of dent is $599.95 to repair (if I chose to paint) as both door will need blended. Omni reimbursed my stay and parking so this should cover PDR, touch up and new moldings to prevent further damage/incidents. I will have to give them "really honest review's" on Trip-advisor and Viator to thank them for their lack of ethics and taken responsibility. Sign on managers door stated 15 days claim free since last incident when I filled out report. Not a great track record.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts