Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car and driver got an impressive 0.95 g of skidpad grip using a base model 2015 WRX in their first review of the most current WRX, so my questions and curiosity surround what you get from paying the $3000-6000 premium for the higher end models in terms of handling and cornering grip.

Would the Premium or Limited WRX with an additional 0.5" tire width on each wheel increase the skidpad grip to say 0.97 or more from the base's 0.95 g on its narrower tires?

Are slalom or track times shortened by any appreciable amount with the better struts of the Premium/Limited compared to the base?

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
I'm not entirely sure the higher trims have "better" struts. They are inverted and mono-tube, but they are not the struts from the STI. RCEs testing last year indicated that these struts offered less rebound damping and a lower-quality curve compared to the base model twin-tube struts in the WRX.

There's a lot of info in here if you're willing to read:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2640177

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply about the struts Zax.

What about the effect of the wider tires on the more expensive models? Do they raise the skidpad grip up beyond the base's 0.95 g to say 0.97 or 0.98 since they are wider?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Im betting you wont notice .02 G of grip in either direction. I have a 17 limited and its the hardest cornering car Ive ever owned without changing anything. quite surprising

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
Thanks for the reply about the struts Zax.

What about the effect of the wider tires on the more expensive models? Do they raise the skidpad grip up beyond the base's 0.95 g to say 0.97 or 0.98 since they are wider?
It's doubtful. If anything, the slightly wider tires may somewhat offset the 100lb weight gain from the higher trim levels. In fact, it may not.

If handling is your focus, buy the base WRX or spend the extra money on the STI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts