Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ZARFAEBN8H7532005-1c.jpg
ZARFAEBN8H7532005-4c.jpg

Too bad your forced to get the TI Model before you can opt for the performance pack that will get you the active suspension, mechanical
limited-slip differential

All-New
All-Aluminum
Engine
HP
lb-ft of torque
2.0L
I4 Intercooled Turbo Engine
Top Speed
MPH
ACCELERATION
0 TO 60 MPH

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's really too bad they won't offer the manual trans in the US. Our less auto-enthused brethren get the better of us again..

That being said, when I built mine the price came out to $47,140 and I hate to say this, I think I would rather have an ATS for that money (since I can't get a manual w/AWD in either)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,582 Posts
After the Alfasud Sprint and the Giulietta, I'd buy this tomorrow morning if I could.

I'd buy a red one and a white one.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,618 Posts
It's really too bad they won't offer the manual trans in the US. Our less auto-enthused brethren get the better of us again..
That being said, when I built mine the price came out to $47,140 and I hate to say this, I think I would rather have an ATS for that money (since I can't get a manual w/AWD in either)
Yeah, I like the car, but for the same reasons (no available US manual and expensive compared to other enthusiast car options), I'd go a different direction.
Assuming it's the OP's car though, congrats and enjoy! And write up driving impressions and long term report. Who knows, you could change my mind. :wiggles:

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
This may be on my list in the 4-5 year future. However, I'm partial to the Giulietta. Could I compromise?...probably. It falls into the entry-level luxury (compact?) sport sedan category that I plan to try for the next car. On that particular model, the wheel gap reminds me of my G37x. It needs 'fixing'.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I like the car, but for the same reasons (no available US manual and expensive compared to other enthusiast car options), I'd go a different direction.
Assuming it's the OP's car though, congrats and enjoy! And write up driving impressions and long term report. Who knows, you could change my mind. :wiggles:
Nah maybe in a few years. By that time they should have tunes and maybe they bring a manual over too. If they offered the performance pack on the base awd model the only other option i'd probably do is upgrade the headunit to the 8.8 screen which would put the price around 42k. It would be tempting

·
Registered
247 Posts
I really wish high HP sedans with a manual transmission were more common. The cheapest I can think of is a Chevy SS, not including the STi which isn't all that much HP

·
Registered
586 Posts
Italian styling is something else. I LOVE the Fiat Spyder. The Alfa offerings are nice too.

But...reliability? Any data on this?

·
Registered
403 Posts
CLA-esque appearance with a *very* reasonable price tag. Unless that car is a complete lemon, it should sell very well.

I absolutely love the 4C. Wish it came equipped with a standard trans. The other issue, of course, is the snow in deez here hillz.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
Italian styling is something else. I LOVE the Fiat Spyder. The Alfa offerings are nice too.

But...reliability? Any data on this?
I would assume it will take a good two years of Alfa Romeo being back in the US before any GOOD data can be gathered. I will also assume it will be below industry average when the dust settles.

·
19,582 Posts
I believe reliability data have no place in this discussion.

We're talking about a car with a Maltese cross (or the Cross of St. John, is it?) on the left, and a Visconti serpent on the right.

Nothing else matters.

·
Registered
586 Posts
That's nothing, my car is protected by the Pleiades...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I believe reliability data have no place in this discussion.
I agree with this. Most of us are enthusiasts. We rarely choose the most reliable car. Or else we'd all be driving Camrys or any Honda

·
19,582 Posts
I agree with this. Most of us are enthusiasts. We rarely choose the most reliable car. Or else we'd all be driving Camrys or any Honda
In fairness and disclosure, I in fact do own a Honda and a Toyota.

Example: I readily trash any/everything German. Rubbish.

I do chose the most reliable car, and I'll trash other cars.

Unless they're Alfas.

Or Citroëns.

Then I want two of each.

·
38,618 Posts
LOL, Spiros' kryptonite is revealed...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I dont know if it will parallel, but if the trans is anything like my HC A8, you may not miss the 3rd pedal. It shifts far quicker than anyone can rowing their own and dragstrip numbers bear that out all the time. Its amazing what FCA (and other MFRs) do now with programming and Autos when they are serious about performance. Even in Street mode it mimics a manual depending on speed, angle of the car etc. Paddle shifters are pretty responsive but I never need them.

·
38,618 Posts
Speed of shifting/dragstrip numbers has absolutely nothing to do with why I keep choosing a true manual for my personal car.

Reactions: Firefighterjake

·
Æternum
15,492 Posts
Speed of shifting/dragstrip numbers has absolutely nothing to do with why I keep choosing a true manual for my personal car.
Thank you.

There's becoming a large disparity in general between two groups of enthusiasts: the group that wants to enjoy driving and the group that has to have the fastest thing on the road.

I don't care how much faster an Auto is compared to a standard... I don't want it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree with both of you, a manual is more engaging and satisfying for an enthusiast and they always will be because of driver engagement. IMO it makes you a better driver because you need to understand how/why/when you need to select gears among other things. I also think its a lot more fun.

My point was that technology has closed the performance gap to the point that Autos are now quicker, and the autos are now programmed to mimic manuals by using a variety of factors and sensors to choose the best gear to be in just as a person would in spirited driving. In street and track mode my auto rev matches and holds gears vs just upshifting all the time. NOt trying to convince anyone of anything.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'll always prefer a manual trans.

Analogy: Driving an automatic transmission against a manual in a race is like one pro baseball player using an aluminum bat while the other uses soft pine. It takes much more skill and finesse to drive a ball with a wooden bat.

And MLB forbids the use of aluminum bats.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts