Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I will be leasing a 2017/18 WRX this coming August. I'm coming from a 2010 Camaro SS, where I was pushing 500whp. Though a huge change and adjustment for me, I do have a 1 year old baby now so it will be more convenient and something I can still definitely have fun with.

My question is, is 300awhp possible w/ just bolt ons? Since it will be a lease, I don't want to do anything that can void the warranties or get me in any trouble with the lease.

If you guys wouldn't mind detailing the mods and proximal prices, as this would be my first tuner, I am in uncharted territory right now, but very excited.

Thank you in advance for the attention and help!

Sincerely,

Falcao

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
300whp is easily attainable with just a couple simple modifications, however there is no modification that will increase power output of the engine and not face denial of a warranty claim. Plus modifying the car is likely against the terms of your lease agreement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which simple modifications would those be?

Also, I have been told, so long as the car is reverted back to stock at the end of the lease, there should be no problems. But it has been word of mouth, unsure of the factuallity of it.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts

Also, I have been told, so long as the car is reverted back to stock at the end of the lease, there should be no problems. But it has been word of mouth, unsure of the factuallity of it.

Exhaust and a tune would get there.. you may get away with it as far as the lease is concerned, but if something were to happen to the engine Subaru would deny the warranty claim. For one, they will see that the ECU has been flashed.. a mechanic can also tell if bolts on an exhaust have been previously removed.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts

I wouldn't go on this advise. Simple mods getting you to these numbers would be things like: Turbo back exhaust, Cold air intake, 3 port boost control solenoid, tgv deletes and maybe one or two other small supporting mods plus the proper professional ECU calibration (tune). However, all of this would give Subaru of America a reason to deny any related warranty claim. People claim that you can revert the car to stock if something catastrophic were to happen in order to avoid the dealership, and ultimately SOA, finding out but this is simply not true. SOA and most dealership have the tools available to see if the ECU has been re-flashed, and that is more than enough evidence for them to deny a related warranty claim, in the event it should happen. Not to mention the fact that you would be modifying a car that you do not own. This would be a definite breech of your lease agreement.

Just some food for thought. The more simple answer is that if you wish to ensure the 100% compliance of your warranty and avoid any future complications with said warranty then you'll need to keep the car stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
Coming from a car with that power you will be severely underwhelmed by the wrxs acceleration.
That's because you have completely unrealistic expectations.

Personally, I would never modify a lease. That's asking for trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I am grateful for your responses and help, I cannot deny that I am quite disappointed. This would be my first performance car lease and truth be told, I thought there was someway around the lease to enjoy the car meanwhile.

While this will not change my decision of getting a WRX, I was really looking forward to some performance upgrades.

Also, I have driven my buddy's WRX and know first hand the change of going from 500rwhp to a WRX. Like I said I have my son now, I don't need all that power anymore haha, more than satisfied with the goal I had of 300whp.

·
Registered
347 Posts
300 whp is alot considering it probably puts 220 to the wheels stock...

The financial aspect is even worse. You're dropping 5k [?], to void your warranty and potentially putting yourself on the hook if you did have failure

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
While I am grateful for your responses and help, I cannot deny that I am quite disappointed. This would be my first performance car lease and truth be told, I thought there was someway around the lease to enjoy the car meanwhile.

While this will not change my decision of getting a WRX, I was really looking forward to some performance upgrades.

Also, I have driven my buddy's WRX and know first hand the change of going from 500rwhp to a WRX. Like I said I have my son now, I don't need all that power anymore haha, more than satisfied with the goal I had of 300whp.
I mean, ultimately what you do it up to you. I've seen many people modify leased cars and return them to stock. Does that mean it's the right or legal thing to do, no. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. Can you modify the car, have an issue with the engine and still have it covered under warranty? Certainly, but it's not a scenario that is supposed to happen. We are simply just trying to give you answers that will allow to you be prepared, should you decide to modify.

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts

The only time you'll be using that 300awhp is throttle to the floor. The rest of the time you are not using nearly any power.

You do you, but be prepared to face the consequences in the end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would categorize a WRX as a family sedan personally. Horsepower and acceleration of a WRX is on par with the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord these days.
Sorry first post but I don't buy this..........I am a Toyota Dealer in Canada and recently took delivery of a 2018 WRX...........for a fun driver, my son owns a 2017 STI............what Camry is on par with this........maybe our nascar CAMRY but nothing stock, 6 cylinder isn't even close to my wee little wrx, its stock and it will take the v6 xse Camry in every way possible by such a large margin I cant believe it, acceleration, braking, cornering X10.

Cant compare the Camry and anemic Accord to a WRX.......and lastly, Im sorry I cant call a WRX a family sedan.............what sort of family..............

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
Sorry first post but I don't buy this..........I am a Toyota Dealer in Canada and recently took delivery of a 2018 WRX...........for a fun driver, my son owns a 2017 STI............what Camry is on par with this........maybe our nascar CAMRY but nothing stock, 6 cylinder isn't even close to my wee little wrx, its stock and it will take the v6 xse Camry in every way possible by such a large margin I cant believe it, acceleration, braking, cornering X10.

Cant compare the Camry and anemic Accord to a WRX.......and lastly, Im sorry I cant call a WRX a family sedan.............what sort of family..............
Well, the facts outweigh opinions. Numbers are posted and available for each vehicle. The real weak point is passing acceleration. The WRX falls slightly behind the average v6 na family sedan.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Why mod a leased car, it's not yours. I'm sure if the dealer found out there would be a big fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking to possibly trade in my current car on a 2017 WRX limited and would love this exact question answered.

I currently own a 2014 370z and am looking to get into a 4 door(family) while trying to maintain a fun ride.

Is 300awhp easily attainable without taxing the turbo/motor?

I dont necessarily have to make the change, so Im also curious what WRX owners would do, given the choice to get into a Z.

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
I am looking to possibly trade in my current car on a 2017 WRX limited and would love this exact question answered.

I currently own a 2014 370z and am looking to get into a 4 door(family) while trying to maintain a fun ride.

Is 300awhp easily attainable without taxing the turbo/motor?

I dont necessarily have to make the change, so Im also curious what WRX owners would do, given the choice to get into a Z.
You are insane to buy a new car and modify it. Period. Everything taxes the engine and turbo, even factory power levels. If it didn't no vehicle would ever break down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are insane to buy a new car and modify it. Period. Everything taxes the engine and turbo, even factory power levels. If it didn't no vehicle would ever break down.

Please don't take my use of the word ‘taxing’ too literal.

There are, without a doubt, ways to increase power safely and reliably while also not diminishing longevity of the motor/turbo. This is what I’m trying to accomplish.

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
Please don't take my use of the word ‘taxing’ too literal.

There are, without a doubt, ways to increase power safely and reliably while also not diminishing longevity of the motor/turbo. This is what I’m trying to accomplish.
That depends entirely on what you consider the life of the engine. There isn't any reason one of these engines shouldn't go 200k, yet a giant majority of them get replaced about 100k

1 - 20 of 37 Posts