Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm a new WRX owner. '16 rex w/ STI STS.

The shifter feels notchy and it seems to require a lot of force to get into gears.
Like from 2nd going to 3rd for example, where I would disengage from 2nd --> hit the Neutral position --> bumps into a tight shift gate [where the heavy part is] --> goes into 3rd.

I understand that the shift has lesser travel but it doesn't help me shift faster at all because of the heavy gear engagement, except if I slam it hard to get into gears.

I have 6.6k miles on my car.

I've read that WRX's tranny is nothing near smooth - what I'm looking for is a way to make the shift feels lighter / more comfortable for a daily driver.

Also, every morning my clutch makes a funny noise when released about 3/4 up to half way. The noise is inaudible aside from morning start ups.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

TIA!!

· Registered
100 Posts
I cant really comment on the notchyness of the shifts, if anything bring it to a dealer and see what they say. Your car is basically brand new.

As for the noise your hearing during the morning (cold) start up is likely the throwout bearing. This is a common sound (issue) that seems to be one of the subaru nuances.

· Registered
140 Posts
I have the factory short throw shifter on my 2017 Limited and it is more notchy than any other manual car I have driven. Despite feeling notchy, it isn't hard to get into gears. Might not be a bad idea to have the dealer look at it since it would be under warranty.

As for the clutch noise, I have it too and I have just over 3000 miles on mine. It only occurs on cold start up and particularly on humid days. It whines a bit with clutch halfway down, but becomes completely silent after a few miles and things have warmed up. From what I have read online, it seems this is somewhat normal for Subaru throwout bearings. If it gets worse, I'll definitely request the clutch and bearing be changed under warranty before it runs out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feed backs. Greatly appreciated.
After a year of driving the wrx, i got quite used to the notchy shifts and it got a bit smoother now as well.
The clutch noise is on and off- I'm not really bothered by it now.

Drive safe everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.