Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1 or 2 times per week after I start the car then park and turn key off and remove it the motor stays running. Any ideas? We bought the car used with 7k miles on it. It did come with some sort of aftermarket key fob on it that only locks and unlocks the car. Not sure why someone would put a aftermarket fob on that only does that? There is also an antenna on the inside of the windshield that goes to the fob, hopefully that is unrelated and warranty will pay for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it does, but its a manual and i have tried several times to remote start it (put in neutral) and i cannot get it to remote start. even looked up aftermarket key fob online and read the directions for remote start.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Some of them have a order of things that have to happen before you turn it off so it can be remote started next time. Try putting the parking brake on before with it in neutral before you shut her down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will usually shut off after a minute or so, or I put the key back in and turn it on and back off and pull it out and it will shut off. crazy I know

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
So you've got some yang there. Does it ever just start up on its own in the middle of the night? :whoa:

·
Registered
44 Posts
This sounds like it is 100% related to that key fob and remote start. Keep us posted, I am curious how this pans out.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,580 Posts
Turbo timer? Useless; I'd marvel if they're still for sale after all this time. Interesting.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Turbo timer? Useless; I'd marvel if they're still for sale after all this time. Interesting.
It's gotta be a turbo timer, I can't see it being a remote start. They still sell them (aftermarket). Person who had car before may have read up about it. Subimods and rallysport still sell them for the VAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's gotta be a turbo timer, I can't see it being a remote start. They still sell them (aftermarket). Person who had car before may have read up about it. Subimods and rallysport still sell them for the VAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A few people that are really into imports that I talked to said something about that. ill look into that possibility.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, after a little research, I think I figured it out. I read this on NASIOC

Are there other uses for turbo timers? Yes. A turbo timer makes a great tool to warm up your car during cold days. Jump in, start your car, set the timer, remove your key, exit the vehicle, set the alarm, and enter a toasty vehicle 10 minutes later. It can be a more appealing and cost effective option than conventional remote starting devices. It also eliminates all thought of remote starting in gear (though there are safetys for this on remote starting equipment) for manual transmission vehicles or entering a cold vehicle because you forgot to set the climate controls prior to exiting the vehicle the night before.

This makes sense because I know the car came from Minnesota. What do you guys think?

Guys I'm gunna post pics of the aftermarket fob later and maybe i can get some answers on it also. I still don't know why it would need an aftermarket fob unless that is the turbo timer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I looked up under the dash on both the driver and passenger side and under the hood and found nothing that looked like a turbo timer. So I took some pics of this aftermarket remote starter and antenna it has (which I cannot get to remote start). I googled the model number and it is a remote start but the only functions that work are the lock/unlock. Not sure if this is why sometimes the car won't turn off or if it has a turbo timer installed that I am missing somewhere? Help is appreciated as I do not want to take this to a dealer, I don't think it would be covered under warranty. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i finally figured it out for sure now, i got it to remote start following these steps i found on a thread on here.

The way these work is, for the autostart to operate you need to put the car in reservation mode before you get out. You park, leave the car in neutral, set the parking brake and remove the key. The engine will keep running. You then get out and shut the door. When the door closes the engine shuts off and the alarm/starter locks the doors and arms. It is now in "reservation mode". Only after doing this will the car attempt to remote start. If any of the doors are opened the car will no longer be in reservation mode and will NOT remote start.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts