Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was doing a 2 gear pull when I suddenly lost boost car started choking and shut off. When I tried turning on, black smoke started coming out of exhaust. Any ideas. Car sounds like choking. If I turn on and give it gas it shuts down. Any ideas? I just bought the car

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
I have no idea what choking sounds like.

Is the car modified

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. It has front mount intercooler and some kind of exhaust. Also has air filter. C ok choking is like when it idles, it sounds like its going to turn off and idle goes up and down

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
It could be a number of things, but considering the factor leading to it I would start with compression test.

You possibly also have a leak somewhere in the miles of front mount piping

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Ok, without doing any type of diagnosis Ill just spitball and speculate.

Oil line to the turbo, the things i mentioned before, rod through the block, blown head gasket, dropped valve, broken timing belt.

You've got to throw a bone here. Besides knowing something went foul have you looked at anything? Does the car have any codes? Have you checked fluid levels and stuff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE!!!! I towed my car to a local shop here on Phoenix az. I bought my car from a private sale. It has been tuned because I have a front mount intercooler, which the mechanic said its probably from a evo. Also it has a boost control. I don't have an acces port yet. It also has an aftermarket air filter. Well the mechanic said that the car over boosted and blew some of the intercooler fittings. It was boosting arround 22psi. Now my question is, he said it was fine to drive if I'm not beating on it. Should I use it or should I wait till I buy an acces port?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Boost leak.. 22psi is not really over boosting, it all depends on your tune and the set boost target the tuner applied ( which you may not know anything about ) was it done via a Cobb App? You will need to unmarry to then remarry a new App. And if it was ecutek good luck! I doubt it was SubaruEdit as very few run them. You definitely want to make sure you are tuned properly for the parts you have. You can risk popping a rod :) or spinning a bearing. I'd say you got lucky the couplings came loose. you also dont know what fuel this was Tuned for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what do you recommend I do. Also it's missing s skidplate. Im new to this so I'm trying to learn as I go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So what do you recommend I do. Also it's missing s skidplate. Im new to this so I'm trying to learn as I go.
Dont mean to beat you while you are down, but, you should have gotten something a bit more stock. I have a saying, noone sells you a good horse, thus the person you got the car from knew the car was or is going to be on it;s last leg pretty soon and in stead of dealing with it found a sucker to pass it on to.

I was a sucker once, and bought a tuned up car knowing nothing about cars, long story short, you cant run befor you learn to walk.

Hope you can enjoy the car......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe so, maybe not.. best thing to do is change fluids and check them, ask previous owner/seller for more info. Who tuned it etc.. it might not be that bad. Also check out primitive racing for a nice aftermarket skid plate. They are rock solid. Best of luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks ,yea the mechanic said overall carr is good. It needs a few things but hopefully it lasts me a while. I bought the car from an auction so I cant ask the last owner. Yes I will get all fluids changed. Thanks for your guy's feedback

·
Registered
14 Posts
Boost leak.. 22psi is not really over boosting, it all depends on your tune and the set boost target the tuner applied ( which you may not know anything about ) was it done via a Cobb App? You will need to unmarry to then remarry a new App. And if it was ecutek good luck! I doubt it was SubaruEdit as very few run them. You definitely want to make sure you are tuned properly for the parts you have. You can risk popping a rod :) or spinning a bearing. I'd say you got lucky the couplings came loose. you also dont know what fuel this was Tuned for.
I bought my first WRX the first year they came to the US (2002) and I installed a boost gage and boost controller before I did any mods. The Bible "Training WRX" says that 16psi is the max you can go before you start to blow head gaskets and other naughties. I now am driving the same year with a modded STI engine. I did not install a boost gage (my bad) and blew a head gasket towing a trailer in the mountains. Too long at a high boost pressure is the likely cause. I'm not romping on the throttle again until I install a gage and controller. As my old dad used to say, "Too soon old, too late smart." He was right about a lot of things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts