Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2016 WRX Limited with complete stock suspension and stock wheels. I am looking to get a tighter and more sporty suspension setup. Here is what I am going to add most likely unless something better comes up.

18x9.5+38 TSW Bathurst Rims
235 /45 R17 97W Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Tires
RCE Yellow Springs
Eibach Front and Rear sway bars

Is there anything else that I should get to keep a good ride quality but still have a stiffer suspension? Front and Rear Struts, endlinks, etc...
I am new to anything having to do with suspension so I am trying to learn and also make sure I get the right stuff for my car. I don't want the ride quality to suffer, but I would like to increase handling and decrease body roll.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I cant speak about upgrading the handling on the newer 15+ models, but what I can recommend is that if you want better handling to go with a dedicated set of summer tires on those rims and put winter tires on your stockers and rotate them when the seasons change. Even a mid level summer performance tire will do better than an all season and same goes with the winter tires as well.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
You want tighter and more sporty, and you want a 9.5" wheel? That's going to deaden things, not make them sportier.

You want sporty, and want all season tires? That's going to, again, make your car feel more like a boat compared to the stock summer tires.

Adding springs and sways will stiffen things up a good bit, but I would rethink your wheel/tire combo. I would suggest Koni Strut Inserts to maintain ride quality and reliability, as well as new endlinks to install with your sway bars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright cool. I had a feeling about the wheels and tires going to make them slower since they are bigger. I want to get up to that 19" wheel size for looks and wouldn't the 9.5" tire help with grip? I am going to look into the Pirelli P Zero Summer Tires for sure. Also, can you send me a link of what Koni Strut Inserts I would need? I am having trouble finding them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another thing to think about with going with a 19in rim, you're gonna have to go with a much smaller sidewall if you want to keep your speedo reading close to correct, also most 18's can clear brembo's and other BBK's, you'll get a small drop from the struts and springs, so that in conjunction with a different rim may give you that look you're going for without you having to step clear up to 19in rims.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Alright cool. I had a feeling about the wheels and tires going to make them slower since they are bigger. I want to get up to that 19" wheel size for looks and wouldn't the 9.5" tire help with grip? I am going to look into the Pirelli P Zero Summer Tires for sure. Also, can you send me a link of what Koni Strut Inserts I would need? I am having trouble finding them.
Get with one of our awesome site vendors like Rally Sport Direct, they'll point you in the right direction for the Koni Inserts. As for wheels, going from 18' to 19" isn't going to change the "looks" very much, and considering you're planning on going a little lower, you're getting into the sizing where you're not only going to have to roll fenders put possibly pull them some unless you plan on going with a very low profile tire.

A 9.5" wide wheel would give you better grip, but mostly in a straight line. It would change your handling characteristics. A lot of people do it, but it's usually people looking for "stance" that don't do anything fun with their cars. Granted if you're never planning to autocross or do canyon/mountain runs, and only go to the drag strip or roll race people (on private/closed roads), then go for whatever you want.

I'd suggest the Michelin Pilot Super Sport for a great set of summer tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts