Subaru WRX Forum banner

2016 WRX Limited CVT Crystal Black Silica

7K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  cushcalc 
#1 · (Edited)
Got 2016 WRX Limited on 11-28-15. CVT. Black. STI cat-back exhaust, vortex generator, Eye-Sight & Navigation, splash guards. Immediately put on Axis Sport XQ silver wheels and V-rated performance winter tires.

The Axis wheels weigh 20.0 pounds, vs. 26.6 for the stock 18" Enkei gray wheels.

Also has dark tint windows obviously, and clear bra and side mirror and door handle finger area protection.

~cushcalc

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah, I didn't really care for the dark gray wheels from pictures, so I had ordered the Axis silver wheels before I even took delivery of the car. But actually, on the black car, the 2016 wheels looked pretty good - mean!

I still like the silver wheels better. And they are much lighter.

Was able to sell the OEM wheels and tires on eBay for $1200, so almost a wash in cost, for what I got.

#11 ·
Are you enjoying the CVT? Can you drive a manual? What made you choose the CVT over the Manaul?

We are planning to purchase a car very similar to yours. My wife actually hates the paddle shifters of the CVT and would prefer a manual. I'm thinking for daily driver the CVT may be preferred.

Currently we are considering:

2016 WRX Limited CVT with STI exhaust option and remote start
or
2016 WRX Limited Manaul with STI exhaust and short throw shifter

#12 ·
Yes, I can drive a manual. Reasons for choosing the CVT: 1. I commute 50 miles/day in heavy stop and go traffic. 2. Wife doesn't drive manual, wants to be able to drive car sometimes. 3. In Sport # Mode, I think the CVT will downshift from "gears" 6, 7 or 8 faster than you can change a manual from 6 down to the optimal gear for max acceleration from whatever speed you were at, unless you are a race car driver who knows Everthing about what gear will be safe but best to drop down to from that given speed. Just a conjecture on my part.

I have the Limited CVT with STI exhaust, which sounds great, and may give it a bit more power. I have nearly 3000 miles on it now, and I am averaging 25.5 mpg. Using Shell V-Power Nitro + 91 octane fuel exclusively. On my commutes I switch to I mode after acclerating onto the freeway.
t
Loving the car. I don't think you can go wrong with either of your possible choices. With the CVT, you don't Have to use the paddle shifters, just stay in Sport # Mode for maximum fun. But even when you are in automatic mode with Sport #, you can use the paddle shifter to decelerate when slowing. There is no point in using it if you want to accelerate - just mash the gas!

#18 ·
It also helps tremendously with reflected glare from street lamps, which was driving me crazy on commute home.

There is actually an aftermarket black replacement part for the whole lower spoke cover, but I thought I would try the decal first because it is far cheaper, and it looks good I think.

#19 · (Edited)
WRX emblem on front, doorsill carbon fiber decal with silver tape underneath

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive exterior Tire Bumper Vehicle Automotive wheel system

I tried Red tape under decals, but it didn't look good. I didn't think carbon fiber over black would be very noticeable for the WRX on my CBS paint, so put Silver tape under the WRX cutout. It was a bitch to get decent. Probably not worth the cost for the carbon fiber sills since they are just decals. For the price, should get metal or at least plastic, with some elevation.

Also today put extra sound deadening material under trunk liner and in trunk lid.

#26 ·
View attachment 249721 View attachment 249729

I tried Red tape under decals, but it didn't look good. I didn't think carbon fiber over black would be very noticeable for the WRX on my CBS paint, so put Silver tape under the WRX cutout. It was a bitch to get decent. Probably not worth the cost for the carbon fiber sills since they are just decals. For the price, should get metal or at least plastic, with some elevation.

Also today put extra sound deadening material under trunk liner and in trunk lid.
What does extra sound deadening material under trunk liner and in trunk lid help with?. What did you use?

Does the d

#35 ·
I want my car to look good but be practical. Everyone has a different idea of what looks good, I know. Living in Colorado, dealing with deep snow sometimes, when commuting in winter, I need all the ground clearance I can get. I like the height I'm at. Also don't want to be crunching my front end on dips or on parking place stops, like used to happen with my Eclipse GSX.

#36 ·
LED Fog Lamp bulbs.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru

Changing out the fog lamp lights for 10,000K LED's. Original shown on left side of car, new LED light on right side. The LED is FAR brighter than the stock yellowish light. I am not convinced that yellow light is any better for fog conditions anyway.

Now I have all white LED's up front except the turn signals. And LED backup lights, which are also much brighter than stock.

Also, just curious - why does anyone prefer side mounting of license plate? I'd prefer no front plate, but it is required in Colorado, so I prefer the symmetrical look of having it in the center. Want to get a carbon fiber license plate surround just to spiff it up a bit more, have plain black surround now.

#38 ·
Aesthetics vs. function, with license plate position.

I heard from a mechanic that it will help air flow since it's not blocking part of the bottom vent....
That's the ONLY reason that makes any sense. Because aesthetically it is not an improvement, IMO (asymmetry is NOT appealing!). Thanks! (But I would think there is plenty of airflow at speed, even with the license plate there)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.