Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, owner of a 2016 WRX here with what I hope is a pretty straightforward question. The glass screen on my stock head unit cracked, and now the touch screen functionality is completely gone. I'm looking to replace it with another stock head unit (was going to buy another used one on ebay) but I'm curious if there is anything I need to watch out for - or is it a simple plug and play? I don't have a whole lot of experience manipulating car audio systems and wanted to avoid a major mistake if possible. Tried searching the forum and could only find info about upgrades. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I haven’t replaced the touchscreen HU in my ‘16, but my experience with other stock Subaru HUs is that they are just plug and play if your are staying with the same model. I replaced the very basic HU out of my daughter’s ‘08 Impreza with a Bluetooth HU out of an ‘11 and it just plugged right in and worked. I think you should be fine replacing like with like without any issues. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,442 Posts
Contact Subaru and make sure you don't need to have the radio married and unmarried from the vehicle. Many newer infotainment units require this. Chrysler specifically is a nightmare as you have to find a radio from the exact vehicle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You probably just need to use your own telematics unit that has all of the star link information. But the head unit should work normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts