Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT?!?! I bought this car about a month ago. Second car, first stick, no experience driving manual although understood the concept and purpose . Second day of ownership, I woke up not knowing how to drive stick . By the end of the day I was driving around town. The fourth day of ownership, I was confident enough to take it to work. It was then I realized what "burning your clutch" meant and what it smelt like . Legitimately almost wanted to cry as I baby my ride. I subsequently stalled a couple more times in traffic throughout the next week as a result of fear of burning my clutch.

OK, now that I've ruled out the possibility of being "abusive" to my clutch, here I am about 3-4 weeks later looking at the fact that I might ALREADY have to replace my clutch. WHAT?!?!?! I'm putting this out there in case there are others facing the same issue . I'm PREEETY sure if you're at a standstill while in first gear or reverse , and you fully engage (release pedal) the clutch, your car should stall . The "biting point" SHOULD NOT BE right at the end of the shortened free play of the clutch pedal . It should not rev to 6K RPM with little to no power, while the shift knob is in second (doesn't matter the gear you select it always drops), while the electronic gear gauge shows it being in 1st.

Anyways, I will be contacting SOA tomorrow as today is Sunday. I hope they will "goodwill" replace it. How is my 2016 WRX's clutch going to go out before the year does? I'm pretty bummed out man :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man.. sorry to hear you need a new clutch. Since youre new to driving stick and the car, to me it just sounds like you just dont know how to engage the clutch properly and burned your clutch out. There's only two reasons why a clutch should go out. Either you're not engaging it properly or if the car is modded and cant support the power. Just sounds like you need more practice. Too bad it'll cost you. Hopefully subaru does help you out. As long as there aren't any hot marks on the clutch (like the ones your get from launching the car) subaru might do you a favor and replace it. If they do take out the clutch and find it, they'll pretty much assume you've been abusing the car. Anyways, good luck. Btw the engagement point on the stock clutch is pretty high on these cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man.. sorry to hear you need a new clutch. Since youre new to driving stick and the car, to me it just sounds like you just dont know how to engage the clutch properly and burned your clutch out. There's only two reasons why a clutch should go out. Either you're not engaging it properly or if the car is modded and cant support the power. Just sounds like you need more practice. Too bad it'll cost you. Hopefully subaru does help you out. As long as there aren't any hot marks on the clutch (like the ones your get from launching the car) subaru might do you a favor and replace it. If they do take out the clutch and find it, they'll pretty much assume you've been abusing the car. Anyways, good luck. Btw the engagement point on the stock clutch is pretty high on these cars.
I can see why people would be inclined to believe that I , out of inexperience caused the damage, but let's stop and think about it for a sec . How much does it take to completely damage the clutch from one day to another? I can count the number of times I've smelt burn clutch without going past the number of fingers I got on both hands . My shifting from gear to gear was seamless after the first week of ownership . how does a clutch go from being completely fine the previous day, to not selecting gears the next? Did I REEEALY, did I really burn the clutch THAT bad? Was it really my fault ? I got the car at 9K miles . Put 5k on it . Maybe those unaccounted 9K miles is what did me in .But still, fully functional one day to failure the next? I'll update when I talk to the Subie gang of America inc

·
Registered
5 Posts
A clutch can easily be damaged within a day. It all depends on how much stress you put on it. You've had the car about a month but have burned it about 10 times? That's a lot. Having seamless gear shifts has nothing to do with anything also. You might not be releasing the clutch as much as you think you are.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry but This is most likely you. You don't set yourself up well being new to manuals and burning some clutch. i couldn't say without being in the car with you but you might be burning the clutch just a bit every time just not enough to get a nose full of smoke. Driving a manual isn't easy and the wrx isn't an easy manual. I think you need better driving lessons. This isn't meant as an insult. Your original teacher may have taught you some really bad habits. There is no shame in learning to do something right.

On the bright side based on the car and driver long term road test you could be in luck. They report their long term test car's clutch was replaced under partial warranty and admit this was probably due to beating on it to get their crazy 4.8s 0-60 time.

If you can stomach the thought of a redline clutch drop, the WRX will charge to 60 mph in 5.0 seconds. It’s the closest facsimile of a Porsche 911 Turbo for less than six figures.

Those hard launches might explain why our WRX’s clutch began slipping at 24,660 miles. Or maybe the clutch’s early exit was the result of a manufacturing defect. Either way, the friction disc was replaced under partial warranty, leaving us to kick in $300 of the $1200 total bill. It would be the single significant service incident in our WRX’s 17-month stay.
2015 Subaru WRX Manual – Long-Term Test Wrap-Up – Car and Driver

Hoestly if you can come out of this with only $300 out of pocket, conisder yourself very lucky.

·
Super Moderator
11,450 Posts
Yeah, learning a clutch tends to be abusive to them. I see nothing absurd about this, and you likely destroyed it. My buddies gf totally demolished his clutch in a day, and ive seen people smoke a clutch in one shot.

The clutch falls under the vehicle warranty, however they can decline to replace it at their will because of the abuse from learning.

Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts