Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - we recently started having clutch problems with our 2016 WRX. In all gears, the clutch would occasionally slip and the engine would rev high. The Subaru forums appear to indicate this problem is not unusual for the WRX and other models.

The Subaru dealer indicated that to correct the problem, we required a total clutch replacement. The dealer also indicated that replacement is not covered by warranty since the clutch is a wear item. We asked to dealer to confirm with Subaru Canada, which they claimed they did, but still no possibility of coverage. The total cost was $2,882 to get our WRX back on the road.

If we had known the Subaru WRX clutch was only good for 14,572 miles (23,452 km), I'm certain we would not have chosen Subaru. My wife is the primary driver and has driven a manual transmission her entire life. She is anything but an aggressive driver, so the 14,572 miles have been very easy on the clutch.

After the repair, we were surprised to find the clutch operation was completely different. The clutch requires much less effort and engages at a completely different point than it did when the car was new. It seems strange that with the clutch being replaced due to wear, that the Subaru replacement parts would result in such a dramatic change to the way the WRX clutch operates. When the WRX was new, the clutch seemed very heavy to us, but the Subaru service department assured us that this was normal WRX clutch behavior, so we got used to it.

Even though we're happy with the significantly lighter clutch effort following the repair, it seems odd that we would be noticing this type of clutch feel change which should have been to only correct a wear item.

Has anyone had a similar experience and possibly a better understanding of what Subaru did to correct our clutch failure? I requested parts be retained and have included pictures here.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,460 Posts
That clutch doesn't look bad to my eye. The flywheel is smoked. Looks like something polished it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is there a specific reason they swapped out the pedal assembly? Was that part covered under warranty or they suggested to do that? I’ve never once changed out a pedal assembly just to replace the clutch. And yes it does look like the disk burned up the pressure plate and flywheel pretty bad. Definitely glazed them.
My guesses could be that the pressure plate wasn’t allowing a full release onto the disk or the disk gave out prematurely. Otherwise driving habits like on slopes etc but I’ll take your word for the good driver part as I’d like to think I also know how to preserve a clutch well. Sounds you may have better luck with the new setup!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've heard of low mileage clutch failure which didn't seem to be attributed by abusive driving. These instances have been argued and Subaru replaces the clutch free of charge. There's no reason for the clutch to be burned up at 15k miles without severe abuse.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This does happen more often than you would think, I agree with ProZach626 call Subaru customer support you have nothing to lose. In my case I got tired of paying the dealers prices and did some searching online this place has O.E. Subaru parts but a lot cheaper then dealers. if you don't have any luck with Subaru try this place. https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/Pag...Year=2016&Submodel=&Filter=()&Keywords=CLUTCH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts