Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
POSSIBLY SOLVED - 2016 WRX Clunking/Skipping when fully turning steering wheel

UPDATE: After putting the winter tires on, I'm no longer noticing the issue.

Trying to shed some light on this issue I'm having.
Whenever I have the steering wheel fully turned and I'm driving slow (say in a parking lot), there's a clunking sound coming from somewhere in the front of the car.
I thought it was the wheel's skipping, but after filming the wheel it seems like it might be coming from the differential.
I can also feel it in the steering wheel.
I don't have any mods besides a new stereo, the car has about 40000KM on it.

Here's a video of it happening, it sounds similar to the tire hitting a bump:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=een4CRerJiw

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got that issue on my 2016. I've brought it up before on this forum, and I think folks just said it was the cold tires just losing grip or something.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Do you have video or sound from in the car? All I can hear is the gravel. When you have the wheel at full lock that's a lot of stress on the drive train and joints in the half shafts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Possible CV axle shaft. The inner or outer joint can clunk when the axle is extended when steering is full left or right.
They usually last a long while, but accelerated wear & tear can result if their beat on hard (hard starts & shifts).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just put my winter tires on, and so far I haven't had this problem happen.
Thanks dorsodurojohn for pointing that out, it makes more sense as it's only been happening the last month (since it got colder).

I'll update this if I notice it again, but so far I think it might be solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they are actually a little bit smaller:
Michelin X-Ice 215/50R17

So still 17", but the stock summer Dunlops are:
235/45R17

Thinner tire, but slightly wider sidewall.

·
Registered
338 Posts
mine does this backing out of the driveway at full turn, more so when temps are cold. IMO The diff is cold and wont allow the wheels to slip as much when warm. The winter tires dont grip and slip far easier so maybe thats why it doesnt happen with your winter wheels

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's happening to me on my 18 STi, seem to only start this week as the temperature got colder in Texas. Will take it to the Dealer to have it looked at. Feels like the strut is twisting when the wheel pops. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts