Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of your posts the past week or so and I'm test driving a 2019 wrx tmrw. I really enjoy my 2016 GTI, the interior is great and the DSG is fantastic. However, I miss my manual days and AWD. My GTI is an Autobahn trim and has a tune. It pulls pretty damn good from a roll; traction is definitely an issue though. All that being said, I have a feeling I'm going to really like the WRX. Just a few questions.... How is the base kicker stereo and do I really needs snow tires? I only have to drive in the snow when there's a few inches at the most, and it's only a few miles to work. Also, how are the brakes without the upgraded brake pads? I have the R brakes on my GTI and they're great, but the brake dust is awful! Is there a big difference between the limited and premium?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Base stereo sucks, you're going to want the premium audio upgrade (The factory one not the dealer add kicker). If you want to go the kicker route just do it after the fact and save money.
You don't need snow tires, but it comes with summer tires so you'll at least need to talk all seasons into the deal.
I don't believe you can get upgraded brakes without going with a special package, but I could be wrong. Save the money and buy aftermarket. It'll be cheaper, better, and you'll be able to shop to get exactly what you need.
Only difference between limited and premium is leather, LED lights, and the ability to add driving safety features/navigation.

The car isn't very customizable from the factory so, you're kind of SOL and will have to choose what is most important.

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot of your posts the past week or so and I'm test driving a 2019 wrx tmrw. I really enjoy my 2016 GTI, the interior is great and the DSG is fantastic. However, I miss my manual days and AWD. My GTI is an Autobahn trim and has a tune. It pulls pretty damn good from a roll; traction is definitely an issue though. All that being said, I have a feeling I'm going to really like the WRX. Just a few questions.... How is the base kicker stereo and do I really needs snow tires? I only have to drive in the snow when there's a few inches at the most, and it's only a few miles to work. Also, how are the brakes without the upgraded brake pads? I have the R brakes on my GTI and they're great, but the brake dust is awful! Is there a big difference between the limited and premium?

Thanks for your help.

The feel of the Subaru is going to be toy like compared to the vw. Mostly Volkswagen has nailed the premium feel at an affordable cost metric. Subaru interiors feel, look, and sound like the econobox that they are.

That said, they are still nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It seems like most dealers around me have the kicker speakers installed when I read the description online. I guess I'll have to see how the brakes are on each trim and go from there. As for VW.... Yes, the premium quality definitely is there, for the first 3 years. Then the sunroof leaks, the sun shade brakes, the struts squeak, etc... This all happen around the 2 yr make. I wouldn't feel comfortable owning my car without an extended warranty.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Then the sunroof leaks, the sun shade brakes, the struts squeak, etc... This all happen around the 2 yr make. I wouldn't feel comfortable owning my car without an extended warranty.

All cars have their quirks and most car companies have their "neglected" areas. Subaru's "neglected" area is the engine, so that would be something to keep in mind. Also WRX is known for having rattling struts too. They said they fixed the issue in late 2016 but my 2017 with 01/17 build date developed it at around 18k miles

Sidenote: After, kind of, having my S3 for 2 weeks I miss the driving feel of the WRX. It was slower but more fun and engaging to drive, not only cause manual vs auto. It was planted on the road and I had a lot more confidence in the bends than the S3. People think I'm odd for wanting a WRX over an S3 but the interior made no real difference to me. I prefer cloth, don't use a sunroof and don't have anyone in my car usually. Two seats and bluetooth is usually enough for me lol

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
All the brakes on the wrx models should be the same. The sti gets brembos.

They are also historically slow from a roll and you will handily get walked on by v6 accords. They also have their share of issues with random sounds, rattles, squeaks, and knocks.

That being said, keep a realistic expectation and you’ll be happy. They are good cars, but not for everyone. The awd is great year round but also weighs down the vehicle and it’s acceleration feel. The manual transmission takes a bit of fineness too.

Despite all of that, my wrx was probably my favorite vehicle of all time

·
Registered
247 Posts
All the brakes on the wrx models should be the same. The sti gets brembos.

Despite all of that, my wrx was probably my favorite vehicle of all time
Technically true on the brakes but if you get the Premium WRX with the Recaro package you get "Jurid® high performance front brake pads"

I agree with the favorite vehicle statement. I really need to keep this S3 until it's paid off and stop switching cars. But if I do that, I'll be looking at an STI as soon as I make my last payment lol that would be a sweet garage

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
Technically true on the brakes but if you get the Premium WRX with the Recaro package you get "Jurid high performance front brake pads"

I agree with the favorite vehicle statement. I really need to keep this S3 until it's paid off and stop switching cars. But if I do that, I'll be looking at an STI as soon as I make my last payment lol that would be a sweet garage
I’ve still got my eyes out for the right sti. Nothing about it will be a daily driver though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Definitely not. I want another hyperblue edition when the new motor comes out. Hyperblue with recaro package would be my perfect garage queen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just came back from my test drive. It was a premium with the short shifter and kicker upgrade. Overall, I liked it and could definitely see my self driving it for the right price. Interior was decent like you guys said. Kicker stereo system was livable. No where near my Fender system in my GTI, I'm sure the HK is much better than the kicker. The cloth seats were nice, not sure how they will hold up with 2 kids in the back compared to leather. The shifting feel was nice and short and I enjoyed the notchy feeling. All of my past manuals have be honda, this was definitely different. The grip and handling of the car was great. I'm sure on a back road the WRX is an absolute blast. Better than my GTI, but not by a lot. On the highway..... My GTI would walk by a stock WRX, but I knew that. Granted I have a tune; and the GTI engine is very responsive to tunes. Everything you guys have said is accurate and I do appreciate it. I don't race people on the highway and I have my kids in the car 75% of the time. But when I don't, I want a drive focused car, and the WRX is pretty much that. I really don't like that I'll have to spend money for a set of high performance all seasons for a brand new car. Subaru definitely should be equipping wrx's in the north East with HP all seasons.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The cloth seats were nice, not sure how they will hold up with 2 kids in the back compared to leather.
I really don't like that I'll have to spend money for a set of high performance all seasons for a brand new car. Subaru definitely should be equipping wrx's in the north East with HP all seasons.
I thought the cloth was fairly easy to keep clean. Granted, I only spilled on them once but I never had dirt stains or anything.
Definitely talk tires into your deal. Either money back for a set, or have them swap out the stock summers if you don't want them. They should have no problem doing that because they can just put them on a used car that needs a set

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
I have 2 dogs and the interior held up fine.

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
Yep. That was right after I bought it. Mud everywhere

1 - 16 of 16 Posts