ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,063 Posts
I think it’s insurance premiums that may save the day.

·
Registered
291 Posts
From 16 year olds, I sure hope so. Most of these cars will be Hagerty or some other type of limited miles garage queen type of insurance.

I'll take some pictures on Thursday night. We are doing a car club cruise / dinner / special showing of Ford versus Ferrari. We have 3 or 4 Ford GTs (the first iteration) and at least 2 of the newer EcoBoost models. There is one 260CI Shelby Cobra (1963 or 4) that will be there. There is at least one 427 side oiler / top loaded original that may be there too.

There will be the usual 458s, 488s, 430s and such, too.

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
Okay, your probably right about reliability none existent with 500 whp..

So I do realize that this is not a cheap road ahead and it’s not all about whp for me (but it’s always fun to have more). 500whp in a Subaru vs a mustang are two very different things and I like the control ability and grip that wrx or sti have over most muscle cars unless the new generations have improved on that and I am open to any suggestions.

I have herd that 2015 wrx are not as built in their transmissions diffs and engine and i am on the fence about keeping this stock wrx given that I want to make this a machine not for daily driving. Is this a fair statement? What are the limitations on power with the stock fa 20 engine and transmission / differentials? Am I better off getting an sti and starting from there?

Idk, I feel that if I am prepared to spend 50-70k on a track/street car, what kind of similar performance can I get from other platforms for my money? I am open to suggestions.

look at some of his videos - he seems to have done it "reliably" enough

·
Æternum
20,415 Posts

look at some of his videos - he seems to have done it "reliably" enough
How could you possibly know that from a video of a dyno pull?

No, a built motor is very rarely as reliably as a stock motor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
^ The channel (and other conjoined channels that post videos from both groups) show that the vehicle is able to hold the power down and maintain it. I'm not saying a built motor is reliable. Heck, even the stock motors have issues from time to time. But what I am saying is that it CAN be done and CAN be reasonably reliable in holding that power and enjoying it.

I personally wouldn't do it though. I only posted that video and channel info because the OP was curious. I think if anyone is dreaming of 500+ horsepower they should look at other options such as American Muscle. At least then when you can have 500+ horsepower you have a warranty to back it up.

Good luck OP!

·
Æternum
20,415 Posts
Calling something "reliable" because it can hold together for one dyno pull is a stretch, regardless how you frame it.

·
something else forever
3,897 Posts
Calling something "reliable" because it can hold together for one dyno pull is a stretch, regardless how you frame it.

You're right. I see what you're saying now.

Back to addressing the OP though. As several other people on this thread have already mentioned, myself included, go and purchase a vehicle that comes stock with your desired power cravings. That way you have a new car with a warranty and if properly maintained can be reasonably reliable, even with such power.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Okay, your probably right about reliability none existent with 500 whp..

So I do realize that this is not a cheap road ahead and it’s not all about whp for me (but it’s always fun to have more). 500whp in a Subaru vs a mustang are two very different things and I like the control ability and grip that wrx or sti have over most muscle cars unless the new generations have improved on that and I am open to any suggestions.

I have herd that 2015 wrx are not as built in their transmissions diffs and engine and i am on the fence about keeping this stock wrx given that I want to make this a machine not for daily driving. Is this a fair statement? What are the limitations on power with the stock fa 20 engine and transmission / differentials? Am I better off getting an sti and starting from there?

Idk, I feel that if I am prepared to spend 50-70k on a track/street car, what kind of similar performance can I get from other platforms for my money? I am open to suggestions.
Let's just put some numbers out there: ZL1 1LE: 650HP/650 Ft Lbs | Documented 7:16 Ring time - faster than 2016 911 GT3 RS / 911 Turbo S / McLaren 570S / Any Aston Martin / Any Jaguar / Any AMG EXCEPT the 2020 GT-R ($200K) / M3 / M4 / M5 / Any Audi R10, etc. Price ~$69K-$72K.

CLA 45 AMG: 385HP | 0-60 4.0 Sec - 12.1 Qtr Mile - 8:10 Ring time - 4 doors - AWD and it works - ~$65K loaded to gills.

GT 350: 525HP | 12.4 Qtr Mile - A little sloppy on the track compared to other cars, but still a great car. ~$60-$65K depending on ADM

C8: 495HP | 0-60 2.8 Sec - 11.2 Qtr Mile - Understeer designed but can be aligned to be more neutral. Eats 911s all day long in any situation. Price ~$60K base (I see it next Thursday).

Others that are just plain good to killer: SS 1LE (just a track monster) | GT 350R (ADM still exists on these) AND Camaro Turbo 4 1LE (personal track car of Randy Pobst - yes he bought one of these as his track toy -- nuff said).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, not sure how to start this conversation but here it is:

Truthfully, I am on a mission to build my wrx for street fun (potentially track fun as well) and I need help understanding what I am getting my self into so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Currently I have a 2015 WRX stock, and I am not confident this is the Subaru platform to get to an all wheel drive 500 whp+ due to my lack of knowledge on the FA 20 engine & transmission and whats its system limitations are. I am talking going way beyond stage 1, 2 and 3 kids play kits and developing a machine that is reliable in 500+ whp performance but before I even start spending the money and time, I am asking for opinions/lessons learned about this path forward. Is it better to sell the wrx for a different generation STI? are there issues with the 2015 - 17 wrx generation or is it just no one has spent the time or $$$$ to get there? Is there threads here that someone can point me to? Is there online classes that will help me understand what i am getting my self into? Has this question already been asked? Am even in the right ball park?

what do youall think?
The 2015 + wrx can only handle 350 lbs of torque. You MUSThave the car professionally tuned on a dyno machine for all wheel drive to safely milk the engine. If you daily drive this car, tune it low. To get more reliable power, you will have to replace the engine @ $3700 plus install...but you'll have 500 hp.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts