ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not sure how to start this conversation but here it is:

Truthfully, I am on a mission to build my wrx for street fun (potentially track fun as well) and I need help understanding what I am getting my self into so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Currently I have a 2015 WRX stock, and I am not confident this is the Subaru platform to get to an all wheel drive 500 whp+ due to my lack of knowledge on the FA 20 engine & transmission and whats its system limitations are. I am talking going way beyond stage 1, 2 and 3 kids play kits and developing a machine that is reliable in 500+ whp performance but before I even start spending the money and time, I am asking for opinions/lessons learned about this path forward. Is it better to sell the wrx for a different generation STI? are there issues with the 2015 - 17 wrx generation or is it just no one has spent the time or $$$$ to get there? Is there threads here that someone can point me to? Is there online classes that will help me understand what i am getting my self into? Has this question already been asked? Am even in the right ball park?

what do youall think?

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
Reliable at 500whp on a 4 cylinder? Not a chance.

Hope your pockets are deep. Very deep.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Duke8urcake

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
Sell the car and buy something else.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you don't care about AWD take a look at a new Mustang GT 5.0. Close to 500 HP, can be had for around 40 - 42 ish k loaded. Really nice car and the engine doesn't need to be modified one bit. Could last 200 or 300k miles before you need an overhaul.

I would have gone with one if it was not for needing that pesky AWD due to my driving style and where I live.

Reactions: Duke8urcake

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, your probably right about reliability none existent with 500 whp..

So I do realize that this is not a cheap road ahead and it’s not all about whp for me (but it’s always fun to have more). 500whp in a Subaru vs a mustang are two very different things and I like the control ability and grip that wrx or sti have over most muscle cars unless the new generations have improved on that and I am open to any suggestions.

I have herd that 2015 wrx are not as built in their transmissions diffs and engine and i am on the fence about keeping this stock wrx given that I want to make this a machine not for daily driving. Is this a fair statement? What are the limitations on power with the stock fa 20 engine and transmission / differentials? Am I better off getting an sti and starting from there?

Idk, I feel that if I am prepared to spend 50-70k on a track/street car, what kind of similar performance can I get from other platforms for my money? I am open to suggestions.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
Audi S7

Can make 500whp from just a reflash.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, not sure how to start this conversation but here it is:

Truthfully, I am on a mission to build my wrx for street fun (potentially track fun as well) and I need help understanding what I am getting my self into so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Currently I have a 2015 WRX stock, and I am not confident this is the Subaru platform to get to an all wheel drive 500 whp+ due to my lack of knowledge on the FA 20 engine & transmission and whats its system limitations are. I am talking going way beyond stage 1, 2 and 3 kids play kits and developing a machine that is reliable in 500+ whp performance but before I even start spending the money and time, I am asking for opinions/lessons learned about this path forward. Is it better to sell the wrx for a different generation STI? are there issues with the 2015 - 17 wrx generation or is it just no one has spent the time or $$$$ to get there? Is there threads here that someone can point me to? Is there online classes that will help me understand what i am getting my self into? Has this question already been asked? Am even in the right ball park?

what do youall think?
A cra

·
Registered
6 Posts
To exceed 400 safely you need a better block like a Crawford block itll handle 1000 atleast but its 10k but for for the rest of your drivetrain its questionable to

·
Registered
301 Posts
Look at the 2020 CLA 45 AMG Benz. The S model puts out 416HP. It is AWD and has a track valid warranty. It is a 4 door with a trunk. ~$55K-60K depending on options.

Now for ~$62ishK you can have a C8 that will be a strong performer.

Of course, my favorite is the ZL1. 7:2X performance at the Ring. Upper 10s to low 11s quarter mile. 202MPH top speed (at Volkswagen's track in Germany). 1.15 G cornering. Putting your foot into 650HP and 650 pound feet of torque is good for the soul.

All of these will be less money and be far more reliable than any 500HP hand grenade WRX.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
To exceed 400 safely you need a better block like a Crawford block itll handle 1000 atleast but its 10k but for for the rest of your drivetrain its questionable to
A built block will not last like an OEM block. There are exceptions, but that's the rule.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
Look at the 2020 CLA 45 AMG Benz. The S model puts out 416HP. It is AWD and has a track valid warranty. It is a 4 door with a trunk. ~$55K-60K depending on options.
I imagine the 45 AMG S is going to be great fun to drive despite the lack of a left pedal, but even that isn't making 500whp. Probably 330-350whp on most dynos. That's just there to illustrate just what the OP is asking... 50% more than an AMG S.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
Is that the one where the rear view camera is hidden behind the Merc star emblem on the boot lid? I followed one recently, thought that touch was cute but the rest of the car looks a mess. Spats, veins, ducts, a sour look on the nose. I suppose none of that matters when one is driving the car though and the price isn't all that wrong so I'd have a look if it were me. Plus, did I mention the camera is hidden behind the star? Absolute Dan Dare-level stuff there.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Zack: I know that 500WHP is up there. I know the 45AMG S has fittings for a second set of plugs and much of the plumbing is already in place. It would look to be tuner friendly, not that I would want to take on that risk.

SD: Ours in the 2018 so our camera is just like everyone else's camera. The 2020 does do that hide and pop out. Pretty cool. I like the looks, too. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Most A10 ZL1s dyno in the 550-565HP range. The 6M models in the 560-580 range. The C8 has some questions, much more around what the heck was wrong with that dyno or who setup what. 550+RWHP on a 495HP crank rated engine. C8 is not likely in my future.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
Zack: I know that 500WHP is up there. I know the 45AMG S has fittings for a second set of plugs and much of the plumbing is already in place. It would look to be tuner friendly, not that I would want to take on that risk.
With the way Merc builds their engines, I have no doubt.

It would not, however, be emissions compliant or claim the level of reliability you would expect from a $60k vehicle.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Stupid Questions:

Just how fast would a 500WHP WRX/STI be? Would it be a sub 10 second quarter mile car? Would it be a sub 7:30 Ring (Green Hell) car? You can substitute VIR for The Ring. For roughly ~$45K you can get a Camaro SS 1LE. For ~$60K you can get a CLA 45AMG S. I am fairly familiar with their times.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
So you don't think a GT350 will have the 'control' you want over an economy box with a 2.0 liter transmission and 500 whp that has to have a trailer and a tool shed follow it around? It's not the 90's, anymore. Cars like the GT and SS handle pretty well, especially when you start getting into the track packages. I recently equipped a Mustang GT on Ford's website with the full track package, Recarro seats, and other options 50k. Another 10k gets you the GT350. A car like that comes with a full warranty and no headaches.

If you're planning any of this for the 1/4 mile then I'd drop your WRX off at the dealership now and take an Uber to another car manufacturer's lot.

·
Registered
301 Posts
So you don't think a GT350 will have the 'control' you want over an economy box with a 2.0 liter transmission and 500 whp that has to have a trailer and a tool shed follow it around? It's not the 90's, anymore. Cars like the GT and SS handle pretty well, especially when you start getting into the track packages. I recently equipped a Mustang GT on Ford's website with the full track package, Recarro seats, and other options 50k. Another 10k gets you the GT350. A car like that comes with a full warranty and no headaches.

If you're planning any of this for the 1/4 mile then I'd drop your WRX off at the dealership now and take an Uber to another car manufacturer's lot.
Personally, I am a bit leery of the Voodoo engine in the 2016, 2017 and maybe 2018 cars. There were / are lots of engine replacements due to high oil consumption (1 quart every 250 miles in some cases). I applaud Ford for just sending a new motor and not letting the dealerships touch the engines. This allowed Ford to engineers to investigate the problem and come up with a fix. There were several fixes (valve assembly and piston enhancements) that were incorporated into the 2019 engine. Also, the GT350 does have serious over-heating issues on the track. Some of this was addressed in the GT350R with additional radiators and heat exchangers. FWIW, this is still an issue on the GTs to this day. About 1 hot lap and red zone gauges. Just to be fair, the Z06 has its share of cooling issues till 2018, too. I wouldn't track any C7 Z06 without some after market cooling, to this day.

For the record, I have seen 2 - GT350s oil the track in two different HPDE Time Attack events.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
From what I've seen from 2019 reviews, I 'thought' the cooling issues on the 2019 GT350 had been addressed. The front air duct and a larger oil cooler, maybe? I still think you'd have far less problems than trying to make that kind of power in a WRX, especially since you'd have a warranty to fall back on. You also may spend more money in the long run with that kind of a project. I'd assume not only is the engine going to need to be reworked, but you'll have to have suspension and brake modifications to support the extra speed and power. I don't think the transmission will be up to the task in stock form in a WRX (non STI).

I also still think you're underestimating the handling capabilities of a modern GT350, a Vette, or whatever the Camaro's track equipped model is called. All of this is coming from a guy who was never an American sports car fan until I started paying more attention. Granted, I won't go and drive one, because I know what will happen and that will be premature at this point.

·
Registered
301 Posts
From what I've seen from 2019 reviews, I 'thought' the cooling issues on the 2019 GT350 had been addressed. The front air duct and a larger oil cooler, maybe? I still think you'd have far less problems than trying to make that kind of power in a WRX, especially since you'd have a warranty to fall back on. You also may spend more money in the long run with that kind of a project. I'd assume not only is the engine going to need to be reworked, but you'll have to have suspension and brake modifications to support the extra speed and power. I don't think the transmission will be up to the task in stock form in a WRX (non STI).

I also still think you're underestimating the handling capabilities of a modern GT350, a Vette, or whatever the Camaro's track equipped model is called. All of this is coming from a guy who was never an American sports car fan until I started paying more attention. Granted, I won't go and drive one, because I know what will happen and that will be premature at this point.
When I drove the Camaro SS, my WRX was toast. Chevrolet did not play fair, either. In 2017, at CamaroFest in Bowling Green, they had the ZL1s and were unveiling the ZL1 1LE. Reports of the ZL1 with the 10L90 (10A) transmission were coming in. They picked my pocket, right then and there.

The refreshed Mustang with the PP1(2?) package is good. The SS Camaro is good. The SS 1LE is great. The ZL1 is just your, everyday, common, ordinary variety, world class supercar. The ZL1 1LE (ZLE in Camaro parlance) embarrasses supercars. I wouldn't want to live with that DSSV suspension on a daily basis. However, on the track, they are monsters.

No reports from friends or owners, yet ..... on the GT500. More or less even money if it will be faster on the track than the ZLE.

Bottom line: There may be a swan song for cars in the next 10-20 years. What a finale!

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
No reports from friends or owners, yet ..... on the GT500. More or less even money if it will be faster on the track than the ZLE
It absolutely blows my mind that a factory car (and not unobtainium) would come with 760hp. Really that's just a liability.

Wait until they are cheap enough for a 16 year old to buy one....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts