Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2015 WRX in October of 2016 with about 33,000 miles on it. It has 44,800 at the time of my writing 10/09/17. I love my car but I have becoming greatly concerned if the car is as reliable as they say or if it isn't. My concern arises mainly because in the 12,000 miles ive owned the car I have had to replace the entire motor when the spark plug failed and I lost one of my pistons and the main shift rail as well as the reverse gear that when I was driving on the highway broke and wouldnt even let me go into any gear. It all fell under warranty being that I hadn't done anything to the car yet therefore it wasn't my fault. I can't stress that "yet" anymore than saying I don't want to leave my car stock in fear of the car failing on me again. I bought the car because I want to go fast (obviously lol) and love the machine im doing it in but the only advice the subaru dealer gave me was to "take it easy". I don't know about you but when I buy a sports car the point is that I like to drive fast. There were a number of WRX's and STI's there with the same issues as mine. I give the car the benefit of the doubt that the most obvious place you'd find a broken WRX is at the dealership. Which is what leads me to my question. Are the 2015 WRX's reliable? Was my situation common or uncommon? Will I be able to continue driving it or do I need to sell it before it breaks down on me again? Believe me I would love to keep it so if you can't answer my previous questions maybe you can answer this for me. Is there any recommended ways to improve the reliability? Thanks for any advice in advance.:) BTW wasn't sure if this fit in this category but considering its either keep my WRX or get rid of it due to reliability concerns and get something it feels like WRX v the world

·
Registered
556 Posts
This paragraph reads like a stream of consciousness thought . . . but here's my thoughts. I got my 2015 WRX in October of 2016 with about 33,000 miles on it. It has 44,800 at the time of my writing 10/09/17. 45,033 miles on my 2015 and counting with zero issues other than the oil changes I do every 3,000-5,000 miles. I love my car but I have becoming greatly concerned if the car is as reliable as they say or if it isn't. I would say overall the WRX is pretty reliable as long as one breaks it in properly, maintains it and avoids the temptation to mod . . . or mod the car willy-nilly. It sounds like you bought this car used . . . one of the potential hazards in buying a car like the WRX used is you often do not know how the car was maintained in the crucial break in period. My concern arises mainly because in the 12,000 miles ive owned the car I have had to replace the entire motor when the spark plug failed and I lost one of my pistons and the main shift rail as well as the reverse gear that when I was driving on the highway broke and wouldnt even let me go into any gear. It all fell under warranty being that I hadn't done anything to the car yet therefore it wasn't my fault. I can't stress that "yet" anymore than saying I don't want to leave my car stock in fear of the car failing on me again. The general consensus here is if you mod the car you need to realize that Subaru may deny coverage on the warranty if the mod is shown to be the cause of the failed part. And again . . . while the WRX can be modified and stay reasonably reliable (perhaps even more reliable depending on what mods are done and what parts are used . . . generally the more you mod a car (talking about go fast parts of course) I would hazard a guess and say the more likely you will have a parts failure. I bought the car because I want to go fast (obviously lol) and love the machine im doing it in but the only advice the subaru dealer gave me was to "take it easy". I don't know about you but when I buy a sports car the point is that I like to drive fast. Well . . . some might argue that the WRX really isn't a sports car . . . a sporty car, a zippy car, but not a true sports car. There were a number of WRX's and STI's there with the same issues as mine. I give the car the benefit of the doubt that the most obvious place you'd find a broken WRX is at the dealership. Which is what leads me to my question. Are the 2015 WRX's reliable? Depends . . . I would say generally . . . yes . . . they are reliable.Was my situation common or uncommon? I haven't been here for years and years . . . but the problems you describe do not pop up here that often . . . or ever. Will I be able to continue driving it or do I need to sell it before it breaks down on me again? Only you can answer this question. Me . . . well I would have avoided buying used myself, but if I was in a situation similar to you I think I would want to sell this WRX and get something new if it makes sense financially. Believe me I would love to keep it so if you can't answer my previous questions maybe you can answer this for me. Is there any recommended ways to improve the reliability? Proper break in . . . proper maintenance go a long ways to helping reliability. Thanks for any advice in advance.:) BTW wasn't sure if this fit in this category but considering its either keep my WRX or get rid of it due to reliability concerns and get something it feels like WRX v the world
Welcome to the forum incidentally.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
6,611 Posts
A remedial composition class will help your written communication greatly.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
I like to eat donuts while I drive.
This keeps my speed down as I only have one hand on the wheel.

·
Banned
436 Posts
i would advise you go to more populated forums and look into the subsection for the 2015+ WRX's there's plenty of threads where people talk about common failures on these cars. unfortunately the 2015's were very prone to problems. and some people say once you replace the motor they are never the same again and you are better off selling it, maybe get a VW golf R.

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
Problems with them are not common. The problem with social media is the majority come to complain. The cars also tend to get abused and beat on so the number of problems always seems higher than reality. "I don't abuse my car" as they drive around at redline everywhere and only have 3 driving modes. Flat out, braking at the edge of available traction, and launching at stop signs.

In general most Subarus have proven to be fairly reliable when cared for. There are always lemons though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't know how your problem happened--I agree that kind of catastrophic problem is rare. (I've heard similar with BMW too, BTW...) And I think Subaru's in general, unless you beat on them, are quite reliable.

However...just from my perspective and experience once you have a major problem you will not feel comfortable with that car again, no matter what the cause. I had a transfer case problem with my BMW that was covered by warranty, but as soon as it went out of warranty I felt like it was a ticking time bomb.

Therefore my thought would be to drive it while under warranty, and then either look at getting an extended warranty, if you don't already have one, or trade it in for another.

I agree with the social media comment. The main posters on fora and other websites are A) super tuners/modders who probably comprise 5% of all drivers, or B) super complainers, again <5%. I of course am in the small minority of normal people. ;-)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not sure what you mean by attempted...it IS the plural of "forum".

I spent 5 years of my life learning Latin and have to be able to use for something every now and then...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not sure what you mean by attempted...it IS the plural of "forum".

I spent 5 years of my life learning Latin and have to be able to use for something every now and then...
Of course you use Latin . . . you're a Doc . . . my wife said she used the Latin she learned quite a bit as a RN.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Of course you use Latin . . . you're a Doc . . . my wife said she used the Latin she learned quite a bit as a RN.
Actually it has been pretty useless, all things considered. I would have done MUCH better with Spanish, as a good percentage of my patients are Spanish speakers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
None of the small engine turbo cars are reliable, so many posts on tons of forums about engine issues. I am going to consider alternatives like the Taurus SHO when I am looking for a new car. It has AWD and a more reliable engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts