Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a possible rear strut tower brace - as a mount point for a rear subwoofer actually though... I don't feel much rear roll on the car already, does anyone have a rear STB, can you comment, was it any improvement? Or detriment because you may Want some rear roll to increase rear swingout?

IF it's a positive, even a small one, I will likely get one. Just lost a subwoofer to Velcro not holding the box quite well enough, completely shattered the sucker. I know looking for sound mount stuff isn't for this forum, I'm not looking here, I'm curious about the rear stb. I don't like the look of the l bracketted box down to that floating pad. So what the heck, if it's even some improvement!

TL:DR; rear STB: worth it or not?

--Alex

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Unless you are racing the car, it is not worth it for handling purposes. But if efficiently solves a different problem, it may be worth it..................

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pull the floor up and look at the structure. It looks to me like a brace will do nothing. It's not like some cars where the strut tower is much taller and less supported. Here's an internet picture I snagged showing a rear strut brace.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The point is the unibody (the sheet metal under that big chunk of aluminum) has much more flex than the bar. I've definitely felt the difference on wider sports cars by adding on bracing, but mostly on undercarriage, not STB.

This car doesn't feel very "flexy" to me, which is why I was hoping to find someone who tried it.

Ah well.

Think I'll just fab a pair of bars to the back deck. Just always looking for a way to waste money on minor improvements rather than just do the cheaper but DIY thing... I guess.

Thanks both of you

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
If it's for mounting subs and you want to spend the money go for it. I don't know that you will see a huge performance benefit day to day. Perhaps it will help when the unibody is old and fatigued but on a car that new it should be fairly rigid. Modern unibody vehicles do a superb job of distributing stress across the entire body making them very rigid. Many manufacturers have begun using blanks from my companys chassis division that help this by having much thicker sheet metal across the areas where the stress will be the highest and thinest where stress isn't relevant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
I have the Cusco Rear X-Brace, it's pretty sweet, but doesn't do a lot, definitely tightens up in corners a bit, but minimal considering it's almost $300

1 - 6 of 6 Posts