Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 WRX I've owned for about 8 months. After I changed the oil I drove for not even 2000 miles and got the oil light. Put a couple of quarts in and made an appointment with the closest Subaru dealer. They change my oil and tell me to come back in 1200 miles. I get home and check the oil level and its over filled so I go back to the dealer and they drain some oil. I drive the 1200 miles and bring it back. My car failed the test so it took more than 30 Days but I got the short block replaced. Now this engine after roughly 4000 miles is using oil. They do another oil consumption test and when I check the oil the day I'm bringing it back the oil level barely made it to the dipstick. I bring it in and after being at the dealer for 2 hours the service manager asks me if I downshift. I've always downshifted every stick car I've owned. He says I'm burning oil cause I downshift. I asked the guy if he is serious. What a bunch of BS. He wants me to drive another 1200 miles without downshifting my car. I laughed and told him I would see him in 1200 miles. I look at the receipt when I get home and it says checked oil level...OK....No mention of the fact they had to put 2 quarts of oil in an engine that has 4000 miles and had an oil change 1200 miles ago.

Has anyone else had multiple short blocks done with eventual success?

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Well jbravo just had another failure due to oil but that’s the 257. Honestly I’ve not heard much about the fa20 and obnoxious oil consumption. I don’t see how downshifting would matter at all with the oil. I rode my 2013 hard, hard up shifts and hard downshifts. Sometimes I was lazy and used the clutch to rev match. No awkward oil consumption.

Subaru claims a quart every 1000 miles is normal. I find that obscene but who am I.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts