Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** I reposted this because I posted in Builds by mistake ***

Hello peeps. I have a question on how to set up my car. I currently have the SPT Exhaust and a ETS intake currently with a Cobb V3 Etuned by Bren tuning. Im waiting to install my TGV deletes, which is going to need a re-tune, therefore I want to do the re-tune with my next mod. This is where I'm uncertain with the direction I want to go. I would like to either do a custom downpipe and keep my SPT Exhaust, or do an EGR delete.

If I were to do the downpipe, is removing the pill a must?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why not do a downpipe and EGR's together? espacially if you are doing a TGV delete. The EGR is not going to net you any additonal power and is a pretty inexpensive mod to do. If you are doing a downpipe and already have the intake then the boost "pill" removal is required.

Something you could also look into is replacing the charge pipe. Since you are doing TGV deletes this could be done along with that since you already have to remove the intercooler. There are some people who instead of doing the traditonal downpipe mod are going towards the TGV and charge pipe mod to create power instead of messing with the exhaust. Altough i dont think it would provide as much top end gain.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
201 Posts
If you install a JPipe then yes you will need to remove the secondary restrictor pill. While you are at it, add an AOS to the mix. Yeah I know I just did that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not do a downpipe and EGR's together? espacially if you are doing a TGV delete. The EGR is not going to net you any additonal power and is a pretty inexpensive mod to do. If you are doing a downpipe and already have the intake then the boost "pill" removal is required.

Something you could also look into is replacing the charge pipe. Since you are doing TGV deletes this could be done along with that since you already have to remove the intercooler. There are some people who instead of doing the traditonal downpipe mod are going towards the TGV and charge pipe mod to create power instead of messing with the exhaust. Altough i dont think it would provide as much top end gain.
If I do a custom DP at a shop...I guess I have to remove the pill once I get home? Would it be ok?

I want to do the charge pipe when I am ready for the TMIC, but I would definitely consider doing the charge pipe and not doing the DP...Im trying to budget and keep the price down. The crappy part is getting a tune after every mod I make.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Would the boost controller lessen the turbo fluttering at WOT?

If anything I would think it would flutter more, since you'd be switching from a bleed type EBCS to an interrupt (unless they changed the EBCS in 2015). Nothing wrong with flutter though. A 3-port will make boost control more accurate and responsive.. no more massive boost spikes that you see with the 2015+ WRX.

Whats an AOS?

Air oil separator. If you're willing to drop the cash on one I highly recommend IAG.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I do a custom DP at a shop...I guess I have to remove the pill once I get home? Would it be ok?

I want to do the charge pipe when I am ready for the TMIC, but I would definitely consider doing the charge pipe and not doing the DP...Im trying to budget and keep the price down. The crappy part is getting a tune after every mod I make.

May I ask why you are doing a "custom" downpipe instead of picking up one of the many already on the market? The pill should be removed at the time of install of the DP as you will have to tune for it right away. The car will not run correctly with the pill installed while running a stage 2+ set up. If you trying to keep a budget, I would look into the charge pipe and tgv delete instead of the downpipe. If you search in the FA 20 powertrain thread on NASIOC there is a member who did this instead of the DP and found very similar results from the tune while spending a lot less money. I do believe however, that the top end gain was not as aggressive as it would be with a DP.

Just some disclosure here. I have not done any of these mods so I only speak from what I have read from these forums and the feedback from the users.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
201 Posts
If anything I would think it would flutter more, since you'd be switching from a bleed type EBCS to an interrupt (unless they changed the EBCS in 2015). Nothing wrong with flutter though. A 3-port will make boost control more accurate and responsive.. no more massive boost spikes that you see with the 2015+ WRX.

Air oil separator. If you're willing to drop the cash on one I highly recommend IAG.
^ or even Perrin or Crawford Performance. I'd you're looking to do a TGV delete and a JPipe I would highly recommend the AOS to decrease or eliminate blow back of oil and other crap in your intake and ports.

If price is a problem check out the TurboXS catted JPipe, great piece of work and has a 250 cell HF cat. If you're going catless there is always a chance for boost creep (someone correct me if I am wrong on this part?)

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
^ or even Perrin or Crawford Performance. I'd you're looking to do a TGV delete and a JPipe I would highly recommend the AOS to decrease or eliminate blow back of oil and other crap in your intake and ports.

If price is a problem check out the TurboXS catted JPipe, great piece of work and has a 250 cell HF cat. If you're going catless there is always a chance for boost creep (someone correct me if I am wrong on this part?)

I can't recommend Crawford after seeing how Quirt represents himself publicly.. plus that MAF spacer BS he's pedaling. Screw that company. The IAG unit is made better anyways.

As far as I know boost creep isn't much of a concern on the 2015+ WRX.. different setup, different turbo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
May I ask why you are doing a "custom" downpipe instead of picking up one of the many already on the market? The pill should be removed at the time of install of the DP as you will have to tune for it right away. The car will not run correctly with the pill installed while running a stage 2+ set up. If you trying to keep a budget, I would look into the charge pipe and tgv delete instead of the downpipe. If you search in the FA 20 powertrain thread on NASIOC there is a member who did this instead of the DP and found very similar results from the tune while spending a lot less money. I do believe however, that the top end gain was not as aggressive as it would be with a DP.

Just some disclosure here. I have not done any of these mods so I only speak from what I have read from these forums and the feedback from the users.
The cost aspect and mainly, I hear the spt exhaust doesn't bolt up correctly with some exhaust parts? So I didn't want to order a part and not fit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The turbo xs dp would be the one I would purchase.

I was assuming the next mods would be tmic, charge pipe....but after the discussion here, I think I'll do some supporting mods before I do that...ie AOS, EGR delete.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
The cost aspect and mainly, I hear the spt exhaust doesn't bolt up correctly with some exhaust parts? So I didn't want to order a part and not fit.

A pre-fabricated exhaust is almost always cheaper than getting something custom made, especially if you're willing to buy used. Unless you're making it yourself and don't mind spending the time doing it, I would just pick up something inexpensive that's already on the market.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A pre-fabricated exhaust is almost always cheaper than getting something custom made, especially if you're willing to buy used. Unless you're making it yourself and don't mind spending the time doing it, I would just pick up something inexpensive that's already on the market.
So the DP will bolt right up to the SPT CBE?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
So the DP will bolt right up to the SPT CBE?

If you are referring to the STI performance exhaust, an aftermarket Jpipe will bolt up with no issue. If I were in your situation, I would

1. High flow catted Jpipe
2. TGV delete
3. EGR delete
4. IAG AOS
5. Pro tune

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Depends on which one you get.. what size flange is on it, and if it's a downpipe/midpipe in one, or if they're sold separately.
Preferably, I'd like to buy the dp with mid pipe. I don't know the flanges ETC, so hence the worries regarding fitment

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
201 Posts
The turbo xs dp would be the one I would purchase.

I was assuming the next mods would be tmic, charge pipe....but after the discussion here, I think I'll do some supporting mods before I do that...ie AOS, EGR delete.

That's what I'm running, turboxs catted JPipe, and a Corsa 3" catback, if you run the STI tuner exhaust you can always pick up the 3" to 2.5" adapter. Which should allow you to mate them both up. Another correct me if I'm wrong, if you get any aftermarket JPipe on the FA series, you'll want to get turbo studs as well since most of the time they can't save the OEM ones. I had to pick up new studs because we had to break mine to get the stock JPipe off. The turboXS JPipe comes with the added midpipe. I picked it up at subimods for around 479 shipped

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
201 Posts
I'll vouche for the Perrin AOS as I'm waiting to install it, picked up the street version because I just had a kid and funds are lowwww lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts