Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2015 WRX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 6 months ago I bought a used 2015 WRX. The car has been having some small issues but nothing crazy. When I first got the car it was pushing 22.1 psi for boost. I reset my battery the other day and noticed that my peak is 12.1 psi. I even tried going through all the gears up to forth and that was all I was able to get out of it. I also have an issue with how the car spikes in rpms and then drops back down and then continues normally. I’ve noticed this issue for about a month now. I’ve asked people I thought would know what’s wrong with it and nothing. No one knows what’s wrong. No engine light, no codes. Wondering if anyone’s had this experience before and how to fix it.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
Spikes in rpm under load typically lends to clutch issues. Because the engine won't have the same load as it would if the clutch wasn't slipping it can have an impact on manifold pressure.

· Registered
2015 WRX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spikes in rpm under load typically lends to clutch issues. Because the engine won't have the same load as it would if the clutch wasn't slipping it can have an impact on manifold pressure.
Supposedly it has a stage 2 clutch in it. They changed it before I bought it. The bell housing bolts were tampered with so we assumed that was why. Is it possible that the person who installed it messed something up?

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
Everything past this sentence is my opinion.

Staged clutches typically don't see life spans as long as factory clutches. This comes down to a few reasons. A combination of higher friction material wearing faster, the higher friction causing less experienced drivers to ride the clutch longer burning, the fact they usually sit behind more powerful engines, the fact they get launched more and abused because they are behind more powerful engines, and because these cars are owned by younger people who don't have tremendous experience driving a manual transmission and torch them.

With that said. Any machines a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough. Find a reasonable Subaru shop or a transmission shop and see if they can check the clutch. It could have been poorly installed or you have something else failing although it usually fails clamped.

· Registered
2015 WRX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything past this sentence is my opinion.

Staged clutches typically don't see life spans as long as factory clutches. This comes down to a few reasons. A combination of higher friction material wearing faster, the higher friction causing less experienced drivers to ride the clutch longer burning, the fact they usually sit behind more powerful engines, the fact they get launched more and abused because they are behind more powerful engines, and because these cars are owned by younger people who don't have tremendous experience driving a manual transmission and torch them.

With that said. Any machines a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough. Find a reasonable Subaru shop or a transmission shop and see if they can check the clutch. It could have been poorly installed or you have something else failing although it usually fails clamped.
Ok thank you for your advice. I’m going to take it to a transmission shop and have them check.

· Registered
5 Posts
Ok thank you for your advice. I’m going to take it to a transmission shop and have them check.
Put a thick piece of cardboard up against a garage wall or a tree. Carefully pull up so the nose of the car is against the wall, then ease out the clutch. If the clutch is good, car should quickly stall. IF it does not, you should smell that lovely smell of overheated friction material.

Cheaper than a Transmission shop, but just my $.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.