Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after selling my 2011 WRX 5-door in 2013, I'm not in the market again...specifically a 2015 manual, Limited Sedan. I recently found one that is priced a bit lower than most that has had 2 previous owners, and suspension and exhaust work done.

Does this only raise a red flag w/ me? IMO the 2015 WRX is a clear step about the models around 2011 with regard to fit and finish, and a blast to drive. If you (the collective you) were looking to buy a 2015 WRX with exhaust & suspension mods, what are some gotchas you may look for? I've asked the seller for the information related to where that work was completed and if there are any known issues with it.

Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
It depends entirely on the mileage, the exhaust work done, the tune, the place that tuned it, how long it has been installed, the results of a compression and leak down test, boost and vacuum leak tests, and maintenance history.

In general if the deal looks too good to be true it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends entirely on the mileage, the exhaust work done, the tune, the place that tuned it, how long it has been installed, the results of a compression and leak down test, boost and vacuum leak tests, and maintenance history.

In general if the deal looks too good to be true it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Yeah...that's kinda what I'm thinking too...It's exactly what I'm looking for outside of the mods and two owners in 2 years...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the price?

And to me, it's a red flag just having two owners AND mods done like suspension.

Is the current owner the one who did the mods?
...current owner and more experienced friend did the suspension. I feel like that's a pretty easy job (for someone not ME), but I think there's enough red flags for me to stay away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, I hate to say it but that seems a little suspect. But, the only way to really know is to do an inspection and a couple of tests. The price does seem a bit low for a Limited with low miles like that.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
cutter311 said:
...current owner and more experienced friend did the suspension. I feel like that's a pretty easy job (for someone not ME), but I think there's enough red flags for me to stay away.
Have a used car inspection be done by a shop that's familiar with modified Subarus. Where in CO do you live?

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
cutter311 said:
Colorado Springs...I think the car is in Denver, so I'm guessing they'd agree to have it looked over.
The Boost Creep is not far from Denver. Arrange with them to have the car dropped off there.

Full used car inspection with compression / leakdown tests performed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That car was probably bought in 2014. It MSRP'd right around 30k (probably less) and has had two owners with mods. That's not a very good price. That's a fair price at best since it's a private party sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts