Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my first impressions of my new 2015 wrx compared to the 2003 wrx that I owned years ago. Keep in mind that I have only had the car for two weeks and most of my driving has been in heavy traffic during week days

2003 wrx
shifting felt like rowing a bolt through a bucket of lock washers and rubber bits (1st and reverse sometimes would not even go into gear on the first try)
brakes, steering, and suspension felt decent
bit of turbo lag but after that power felt smooth and consistent through the rpms
overall this car felt like a high performance street car that could be taken off road

2015 wrx
shifting is very clean and precise
brakes are good but feel like they could be just a bit better
steering is heavy and tight but in a good way
suspension is super stiff and you feel every bump but I dont mind (car feels planted to the road)
throttle is very touchy and feels like you are giving it 100% when you are only 30% on the gas (I have big dumb heavy feet so that does not help)
overall this car feels like a high performance street car that could be taken off road with some changes (guess thats why this wrx comes with low ride height, summer tires, and stiffer suspension)

Dont get me wrong, I loved my 2003 wrx but the 2015 is a great upgrade.
I think that the car would drive a bit smoother with the Cobb accessport installed it may drive a bit better in heavy traffic.

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
throttle is very touchy and feels like you are giving it 100% when you are only 30% on the gas
That's exactly what's happening actually. Non linear throttle curve.

Also, it is in no way capable off road, please don't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant wait to get the Accessport to smooth things out. I had no intention of taking the car off road and do not feel like spending the money to make it capable to do so. I only took my 2003 on some dirt, gravel roads from time to time but nothing too crazy.

·
Super Moderator
10,883 Posts
Some people like it, some don't. I'll advise you not to get your hopes too high on the results from it.

·
Æternum
15,466 Posts
I'm surprised to hear your review on the shifting.

Most seem to feel that the move from direct-linkage to cable-linkage on the transmission was a bad move.

Were any of the bushings in the 2003 replaced at any point in 15 years? That could be the reason.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The Accessport and MAPerformance's stage I by no means converts the WRX into some kind of "super car". What it does do, though, is turn the WRX into a budget, sporty, AWD sedan worthy of its price tag. I now enjoy spirited driving without feeling like I've never driven a manual before in my life.

As enthusiasts, we all likely have a tendency to continuously put money into our cars. There's no easier mod to eliminate buyer's remorse, IMO - gone. Power-wise, I'm content. I now love this car and look forward to driving it each day.

I've been working on quieting down the cabin/trunk with Noico 80 mil and 3/8" XCEL foam. It's a lot of work, but I'm making a dent in the SPT exhause drone, as well as the wheel and road noise. Hands hurt badly, and often, bit it's so worth it.

I did finally fix the exhaust tips hanging so low using the UXCEL yellow hangers. So much better.

Good luck, OP!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only had the 2003 for about 6 years and did not upgrade the bushings and shifter but I should have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt expect the accessport to turn it into a super car. I will use it as a good base mod to build on with an intake and exhaust down the road. I am planning on installing the Cobb intake system, then either the Cobb full exhaust or a cat back depending on how I feel. Maybe a MAP charge pipe and larger intercooler later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The steering feels much different compared to the 2009 base impreza and 2003 corrolla that I have been driving the last 10 years.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The Accessport and MAPerformance's stage I by no means converts the WRX into some kind of "super car". What it does do, though, is turn the WRX into a budget, sporty, AWD sedan worthy of its price tag. I now enjoy spirited driving without feeling like I've never driven a manual before in my life.

As enthusiasts, we all likely have a tendency to continuously put money into our cars. There's no easier mod to eliminate buyer's remorse, IMO - gone. Power-wise, I'm content. I now love this car and look forward to driving it each day.

I've been working on quieting down the cabin/trunk with Noico 80 mil and 3/8" XCEL foam. It's a lot of work, but I'm making a dent in the SPT exhause drone, as well as the wheel and road noise. Hands hurt badly, and often, bit it's so worth it.

I did finally fix the exhaust tips hanging so low using the UXCEL yellow hangers. So much better.

Good luck, OP!
If you want it quieter, why not go with the stock exhaust? The sti performance exhaust (fomerly known as spt) is just a noise maker anyway, it wont make any power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts