ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2018 wrx running full boltons @ stage 2 with a protune. I will be getting a pump and intercooler upgrade and wondering what to expect. I know it will get around 340whp, I have seen 370whp as well but not sure what I will get. How will that kind of power hold up against 5.0's, 370z's, and Focus RS for example. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
11,221 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2018 wrx running full boltons @ stage 2 with a protune. I will be getting a pump and intercooler upgrade and wondering what to expect. I know it will get around 340whp, I have seen 370whp as well but not sure what I will get. How will that kind of power hold up against 5.0's, 370z's, and Focus RS for example. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
The exact number doesn't matter because you can get a 100whp difference between different dynos. Turn in concepts may say you are putting 240 but fly by night broski tuning says you are 340 because numbers sell.

Assuming everything else is bone stock you would probably get them all in the 1/8 the only challenge being the mustang that may still get you. 1/4 the mustang would probably get you. The guys are running low 12s in the quarter mile stock with the performance package which most of the mustangs I've seen have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The exact number doesn't matter because you can get a 100whp difference between different dynos. Turn in concepts may say you are putting 240 but fly by night broski tuning says you are 340 because numbers sell.

Assuming everything else is bone stock you would probably get them all in the 1/8 the only challenge being the mustang that may still get you. 1/4 the mustang would probably get you. The guys are running low 12s in the quarter mile stock with the performance package which most of the mustangs I've seen have.
Thanks for the response. Thats what I was expecting, the v8's always have the top end. I had my first protune on a dyno jet, it was a very hot day and I got some crappy results for stage 2. This time around it might be on a mustange dyno or as the tuner called it "the heart breaker dyno". So the numbers will be lower but they said something about compensating for that. Not sure if that will affect the tune at all.

·
11,221 Posts
Thanks for the response. Thats what I was expecting, the v8's always have the top end. I had my first protune on a dyno jet, it was a very hot day and I got some crappy results for stage 2. This time around it might be on a mustange dyno or as the tuner called it "the heart breaker dyno". So the numbers will be lower but they said something about compensating for that. Not sure if that will affect the tune at all.
Compensation has nothing to do with the tune. Chasing numbers is bad news and you should break that habit now. A dyno isn't a tool for absolute values it's a tool to give you comparisons. I had this before the tune, i have this now.

When you are talking about drag racing it's all about putting as much power as possible to the ground without exceeding the limit of the tires. AWD is dandy at launch but you've got all that drivetrain sucking power away immediately after launch. The mustang is only pushing 2 wheels that also have the weight loaded on them from the acceleration.

Then there is the instant power zero need for boost that you have with a naturally aspirated engine. So acceleration out of a corner is likely to be better as well. Although there are anti lag and some brake boosting techniques that may help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Compensation has nothing to do with the tune. Chasing numbers is bad news and you should break that habit now. A dyno isn't a tool for absolute values it's a tool to give you comparisons. I had this before the tune, i have this now.

When you are talking about drag racing it's all about putting as much power as possible to the ground without exceeding the limit of the tires. AWD is dandy at launch but you've got all that drivetrain sucking power away immediately after launch. The mustang is only pushing 2 wheels that also have the weight loaded on them from the acceleration.

Then there is the instant power zero need for boost that you have with a naturally aspirated engine. So acceleration out of a corner is likely to be better as well. Although there are anti lag and some brake boosting techniques that may help.
Thanks for the advice, I am new to this and need all the advice I can get. What are your thoughts on the Golf R in terms of performance? I was thinking about switching to that after seeing hp "numbers" vs wrx after tunes and bolt on's. So with the numbers aside, how do they compare on the track if both are running full bolt on's and on ethanol. I cant seem to find any videos of these against each other on the track. I spoke to someone who has a stage 2 + Golf R @ 370whp and he said that he walked mustangs but that seems hard to believe, he did not have any footage for me.

Sorry if im asking novice questions, I am just very curious about these things when investing more money into my car. I see you have many posts on here and seem to know what you are talking about, thanks for your responses.

·
11,221 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I am new to this and need all the advice I can get. What are your thoughts on the Golf R in terms of performance? I was thinking about switching to that after seeing hp "numbers" vs wrx after tunes and bolt on's. So with the numbers aside, how do they compare on the track if both are running full bolt on's and on ethanol. I cant seem to find any videos of these against each other on the track. I spoke to someone who has a stage 2 + Golf R @ 370whp and he said that he walked mustangs but that seems hard to believe, he did not have any footage for me.

Sorry if im asking novice questions, I am just very curious about these things when investing more money into my car. I see you have many posts on here and seem to know what you are talking about, thanks for your responses.
I can't speak to the Volkswagen outside of the last one I owned was easily the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I'd rather drag my balls through a mile of broken glass and razorblades before buying another one.

You are not comparing apples and apples and again are chasing some number. You can literally make a dyno read whatever the customer wants. With that being said, Volkswagen vehicles have been very receptive to modifications so large gains are not really that surprising. Ive heard there are guys pushing 400+ to the wheels on stock internals fairly easily and reliably.

To add to that, I know the dcg stock won't handle that power and you'll toast the clutches. They are stupidly expensive as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't speak to the Volkswagen outside of the last one I owned was easily the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I'd rather drag my balls through a mile of broken glass and razorblades before buying another one.

You are not comparing apples and apples and again are chasing some number. You can literally make a dyno read whatever the customer wants. With that being said, Volkswagen vehicles have been very receptive to modifications so large gains are not really that surprising. Ive heard there are guys pushing 400+ to the wheels on stock internals fairly easily and reliably.

To add to that, I know the dcg stock won't handle that power and you'll toast the clutches. They are stupidly expensive as well.
Wow, strong words there. What was it about them that was so bad if you dont mind me asking?

·
11,221 Posts
Fire recalls, loss of compression, endless incurable knock, components falling apart like dash knobs and steering wheel controls, oil consumption that rivaled loose oil filter.

It was garbage.

·
Æternum
20,564 Posts
EA888 Golf Rs with mild bolt-ons routinely run 11s in the quarter mile.

I can't comment on Golf reliability. I've heard the full gambit but have no personal experience. The interiors are wonderful for the price.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My first thought is to keep the car stock. If you want a faster car, buy a faster car. There are configurations of the Mustang GT that run upper 11s right after break-in. These are equipped with a performance pac and 10 speed auto (don't ask me which flavor of performance pack - its a Baskin' Robins sort of line-up).

I would be hesitant to do very many dump the clutch drag starts with a Subie.
While you may get away with it a few times, you have pulled the pin on the grenade and it will go boom.
Some AWD cars are built for that. Most are not.

If you are visiting Mexico, then you have given up the AWD advantage if you are rolling.

Modifying a car is just a bottomless pit. I literally know folks that are putting out north of 1,000HP at the wheels. These cars run in the 9 second range for the quarter mile. They have full cages. They are street legal (drivable is a whole other question). 2650 Maggies, huge cams with fuel upgrades that cost thousands (just for the fuel upgrade). Then there is the Weld Racing wheel conversion. Those require a swap of brakes and brake rotors. Titanium and forged internals. Now you have drive line issues. $50,000 is a starter budget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts