Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! I been lurking the threads for some time now and found out that many of you have problems with the 2015+ Wrx. I am a proud owner of of a 2016 limited and love it very much. I bought the car last year during the summer and started to mod right away not caring too much for the warranty. I feel very different after a few problems that emerged recently. Just to put it out there I did let the car break in 5k miles and modded right after.

My first mods was a CAÍ from Cobb along with an AP, which was probably around 6k miles. At this rate I had the vehicle running on ots mapfor about 6-8 months with no problems. I was aware that the car had normal knocks between 1.41 and 2.81 which aren't dangerous. At around 8k miles e about 2 months ago I went stage 2 with A Jpipe and a 3 inch exhaust system and of course
A stage 2 ots flash. Oh man was that super fun until 2k miles later. The car started to have knocks of over 3.xx to a maximum of 9.xx at full throttle or WOT. Let me say that throughout the 2 thousand miles of stage 2 I noticed that the car was knocking constantly between 1.41 and 4.xx. During this time I was thinking to myself that it's probably false knock what could go wrong. So about 2 weeks ago my friends and I decided to go out for a cruise, that's when my car started to knock constantly at all rpms. That night I decided to leave the car in the garage and leaving it till the morning. So, the night passed and in the morning I walked into the garage and got into the car and hoped for the car to not give me any problems. I cranked it up and the car sounded like it was flooded and the engine was going to die out. I was losing my head thinking to myself " there goes 30k into the trash". I knew I couldn't take it to Subaru, so I took that matter into my own hands and started to trouble shoot. After about an hour of checking for boost leaks I took a sensor off from on top of the intake manifold ( I think it's intake temp sensor.) that sensor was oily as hell. That lead me to take off the intake manifold off and that lead me to the intake valves. Let me tell y'all that those valves were full of oil and gunk. I cleaned the valves with seafoam and and cleaned about 60% of the gunk. Later I came to find out that a local Subaru performance shop also performed a cleaning that's now considered an official service . I got that done and the car felt like new again. I researched and came to find that anyone running anything other than stock
Needs an AOS. So with that said I bought it and installed it. After 250 miles I've had 0 knocks and hopefully it'll stay that way until I can get a protune by the end of the month. I hope this helps some of you subie brothers out there.

P.s if some of the text doesn't make sense it's because the mobile app kinda suck =P

intakemanisensor.jpg
gunkedupvalves.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been holding off, but today I'm ordering an oil catch car.

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just googled TGV delete and used that as a reference. It wasn't too hard just a few bolts, Tmic, fuel line, and taking the throttle body out. The whole process to take it off is about 20-35 min depending on your experience.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Just to be clear here.... an AOS isn't a permanent solution to this.... it will help but not in any noticeable amount.

Only way to really combat it is an EGR delete + water/meth injection if you really want to get crazy with it. Majority of the issue doesn't come from oil blow by but rather dirty exhaust fumes being pumped back into the engine + the lack of a port injection system like there was in order cars which would keep the valves clean.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting and disappointing that this engines are having this kind of issues at this low mileage, i would think more upwards of 40k miles. smh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts