Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Subaru WRX with a nameless muffler delete and I love the sound but I want my car to make the pop sound from a backfire. Is there specific mods I can do to my car to make it do it? I have no engine mods besides a drop in filter and just the nameless muffler delete.

· Registered
3,060 Posts
Backfires are no bueno, and can assist in an engine letting go. I think you are wanting afterfire.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
I have a 2016 Subaru WRX with a nameless muffler delete and I love the sound but I want my car to make the pop sound from a backfire. Is there specific mods I can do to my car to make it do it? I have no engine mods besides a drop in filter and just the nameless muffler delete.
A backfire shoots a fireball up your intake and usually blows the entire thing off the engine. As that happens with a giant boom. After fire is when the car is getting fuel into the exhaust. It is hard on the turbo and exhaust components. 99% of the time it is due to a fueling problem. It's also usually not possible with the cats installed.

So basically yeah you can have one if you want your car to be running less than peak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

15,792 Posts
wording in my original post is bad. Shouldn't have said backfire, but I just want that loud pop that happens when decelerating.
Then you want to cut out your cats dump excess fuel into the cylinder so it can go out the exhaust. This is bad for your car, is illegal and requires you to tune your car, but have at it. You can also mess with your timing to try and prevent combustion until the piston is already in the power stroke this also lessens your efficiency, power and can cause damage, but it may cause it to burn inefficient enough to do it.

From time to time you'll get it it's just going to happen but if you want it a lot your going to have to do damaging things to your car. It happens in racing because of extreme heat and vast amounts of fuel that don't always have the time to burn off when on a hard braking deceleration.

15,792 Posts
I believe just going catless will produce the sound. My exhaust pops pretty much every time I up shift anywhere after 4k RPMs. I'm using the stock BPV,
It really shouldn't for some reason your fuel isn't tapering off when you come off the throttle. Exhaust cackle, yes, popping no.

· Premium Member
1,489 Posts
It really shouldn't for some reason your fuel isn't tapering off when you come off the throttle. Exhaust cackle, yes, popping no.

It's a pretty pronounced popping sound, but maybe a crackle could also describe it. However, the sound is nowhere near fireball level.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you ever heard a Jaguar F-Type R and the way it makes the loud cracking sound? This is the crackle noise I am looking for. The fact that the jaguar F-type has the pop with its stock exhaust tells me that it is not bad for the car, rather just the way it is built.

15,792 Posts
The only videos I can find of it are normal exhaust cackle. Thats going to depend a lot on the entire exhaust design and valve timing. V8 engines usually have a good one because of the uneven firing order

· Registered
365 Posts
Is this what you're referring to?

So a lot of engineering went into the R53 mini to make it sound remenecent of the old School carbureted rally mini's of the 60s. From what I read a decade ago (could be fuzzy memory) this crackle is a lag in reduction of fuel delivery during deceleration with a carburetor or maybe it had something to do with the distributor. There is no reason for a modern fuel injected car to do this except for the grins it causes. It's mostly harmless and doesn't really waste much fuel. i do miss it a little. Sometimes I think Subaru works a bit too hard making their cars good and forgets the fun.

· Premium Member
11,374 Posts
The closest you're going to get will be a 3" straight through turboback, no catalytic converters, no resonators, no mufflers.. which of course will require custom tuning.
Is this what you're referring to?

So a lot of engineering went into the R53 mini to make it sound remenecent of the old School carbureted rally mini's of the 60s. From what I read a decade ago (could be fuzzy memory) this crackle is a lag in reduction of fuel delivery during deceleration with a carburetor or maybe it had something to do with the distributor. There is no reason for a modern fuel injected car to do this except for the grins it causes. It's mostly harmless and doesn't really waste much fuel. i do miss it a little. Sometimes I think Subaru works a bit too hard making their cars good and forgets the fun.

Yeah.. I bet with straight through exhaust, and some tweaks to the throttle tip-out tables in the tune it wouldn't be too hard to achieve.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.