Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 WRX Sedan that I bought new. Completely stock except for the SPT Exhaust, and it has about 15,000 miles on it.

Never had any issues until about 2 months ago the car would start bucking around 2-3000 RPMs mainly in 3rd/4th gear. Almost like when you are going to slow in first and it starts bucking/stalls so I would shift to a lower gear to keep the RPMs up. It eventually threw the CEL and I took it to the dealership. They said it had a misfire code and they tried swapping the coil packs which didn't do anything and ended up replacing a spark plug which they said failed. I picked it up and it drove fine for 2 months.

Today I took it on about a 2 hour drive and it started to do the bucking again in pretty much every gear even up to above 3000 RPMs. It got pretty bad to the point where I worried about continuing to drive it. The CEL never came on, however, toward the end of the drive it started acting fine again and didn't seem to have the bucking issue.

I have read multiple misfire threads but this seems odd that I have bucking/misfire combined with the fact that they replaced a plug which seemed to fix it but now it is doing it again. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there something bigger going on here? Why did the plug seem to fix it but now doesn't seem to be the issue? I am going to keep driving it and see if the CEL comes on again - either way I may take it back to the dealer to take a look at.

Thanks!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update for those who may have the same issue.

Dealership couldn't get a specific cylinder off the code so I let them drive it around a few days with the laptop hooked up. They saw that there were misfires occurring (technician could feel the rough ride, etc.) but not enough to cause a CEL.

They finally narrowed it down to a short in the engine wiring harness. THey replaced it and there no longer seems to be an issue. I plan to drive the heck out of it to see if the problem shows itself again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.