Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Was Wondering What Problems Are Going To Reoccur, As I Barely Just Got This Car, I do have warranty on the car,
Subaru Estimated Me 10,400$ for repairs, I’m curious of what is going to be replace as to 10,400$ is a lot!

·
Æternum
16,157 Posts
How do you know that the timing belt snapped? Has it been assessed by a mechanic?

Reactions: Jasonlolipop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you know that the timing belt snapped? Has it been assessed by a mechanic?
After getting my car towed to Subaru, A Subaru Advisor called me and told me one of his mechanic told him that the damages that were assessed were my timing belt, and most likely the head were damaged, that what they pretty much told me.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
After getting my car towed to Subaru, A Subaru Advisor called me and told me one of his mechanic told him that the damages that were assessed were my timing belt, and most likely the head were damaged, that what they pretty much told me.
Yeah, that's tragic. It's often the result of a failed timing belt or chain. Sometimes you get to see the valve exploded through the valve cover. It's sad, but interesting.

I'd really like to know what snapped the timing belt or failed to cause the belt failure. Realistically they are a solid 10 year 100k mile part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's tragic. It's often the result of a failed timing belt or chain. Sometimes you get to see the valve exploded through the valve cover. It's sad, but interesting.

I'd really like to know what snapped the timing belt or failed to cause the belt failure. Realistically they are a solid 10 year 100k mile part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I’m not too sure, that’s what I’ve been wondering, because the mileage on the car is barely at 50,000 miles, and all I was doing was trying to get home from work and I had my cruise control on at 80 mph and I haven’t really did any hard pulls

·
Æternum
16,157 Posts
I’m not too sure, that’s what I’ve been wondering, because the mileage on the car is barely at 50,000 miles, and all I was doing was trying to get home from work and I had my cruise control on at 80 mph and I haven’t really did any hard pulls
Unfortunately you now serve as an example to those on these boards as to WHY Subaru specifies both a mileage and a time duration for timing belts.

The maintenance interval is 96,000 mile OR 96 months, whichever is first. A 2013 is likely manufactured in 2012 which puts it at 9 years old. You got unlucky, but that's why the spec is there.

Since the EJ is an interference engine, it's very likely to have trashed everything internally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately you now serve as an example to those on these boards as to WHY Subaru specifies both a mileage and a time duration for timing belts.

The maintenance interval is 96,000 mile OR 96 months, whichever is first. A 2013 is likely manufactured in 2012 which puts it at 9 years old. You got unlucky, but that's why the spec is there.

Since the EJ is an interference engine, it's very likely to have trashed everything internally.
I see, thank you for the response! It’s weird because “tech” claimed they checked it and serviced it which I sorta doubt but who knows, all I hope is that I can get this sorta out and get the car back on the road

·
Æternum
16,157 Posts
I see, thank you for the response! It’s weird because “tech” claimed they checked it and serviced it which I sorta doubt but who knows, all I hope is that I can get this sorta out and get the car back on the road
If it makes you feel any better (or worse) you certainly have the lowest mileage Subaru I've heard of tanking its Timing Belt....

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,820 Posts
I see, thank you for the response! It’s weird because “tech” claimed they checked it and serviced it
What exactly does "serviced" it mean?

Did they replace the belt?

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
If it makes you feel any better (or worse) you certainly have the lowest mileage Subaru I've heard of tanking its Timing Belt....
Its nearly always some dude in his bugeye with 145k and 20 years on the original belt, likely brakes too.

What exactly does "serviced" it mean?

Did they replace the belt?
Id ask this as well. You can check the belt wear with a special gauge, this practice is uncommon as belts are typically cheap.

·
Æternum
16,157 Posts
I feel really bad for the OP, especially since the OP just bought the car.

I'm going to send people over to this thread whenever they say "Do I really need to replace the timing belt? My car only has ___ miles!"

·
Æternum
16,157 Posts
Well before I bought the car, I was told they checked the engine and stuff and fluids were changed before sold, as I bought this at a dealership
When exactly did you purchase the vehicle? I wonder if there is some recourse as they may have sold you a car that wasn't fully maintained. If the dealership DID service the timing belt, I suspect this would be a workmanship problem. Either way, you may be entitled to something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When exactly did you purchase the vehicle? I wonder if there is some recourse as they may have sold you a car that wasn't fully maintained. If the dealership DID service the timing belt, I suspect this would be a workmanship problem. Either way, you may be entitled to something.
I just recently got this car, around 4/23 I believe so about 2 months.

·
Æternum
16,157 Posts
You might be successful in court if they did NOT service the timing belt.

Do you know your VIN? We can probably track down the DOM.

The course of action IMO should be:
Did they service the timing belt?

If yes - do they warranty their work?
If no - why was the service not performed as scheduled?

Was this a Subaru dealership that sold you the vehicle?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts