Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to this forum i wanted to get some opinions/ideas as to what else i should get to increase some power gains on a stage 2 setup before i get protuned. Currently have a 2013 WRX hatchback (Stock catback muffler delete, Cobb Downpipe, Cobb SF intake & Acessport) the guy who will be protuning my car said with this setup i should be making 260whp/300TQ (forgot to mention i live in california so only 91octane) i was thinking should i get an aftermarket Invidia Uppipe? will i feel/see any noticeable gains? and What mod should i get to improve this setup?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
You will get next to nothing from an up pipe. Dyno numbers mean nothing unless you have a comparison. With that setup on my local dyno you'll be doing good to pull 230 on 93 octane.

Really you are reaching the limit of the stock injectors at that point. To get anything worth something you'll need fueling first and foremost. If I were you I would consider a top mount, it tgv deletes. Both of those will net maybe a dozen HP at the crank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,475 Posts
Start with that.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
XJ pretty much covered it. Upgrading your uppipe is worthless unless you are going with an external wastegate setup. Other than that. Leave it alone. If it were me I would do the following.....

-Top mount intercooler (the stock wrx one is junk with the plastic endcaps)
-Injector Dynamics 1050X injectors
-Whatever fuel pump your tuner recommends
-3 port electronic boost control solenoid
-turbo inlet

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
XJ pretty much covered it. Upgrading your uppipe is worthless unless you are going with an external wastegate setup. Other than that. Leave it alone. If it were me I would do the following.....

-Top mount intercooler (the stock wrx one is junk with the plastic endcaps)
-Injector Dynamics 1050X injectors
-Whatever fuel pump your tuner recommends
-3 port electronic boost control solenoid
-turbo inlet

Throw that throttle body to I/C hose in there too. That was a major weak point.
Surprisingly, so was the turbo inlet

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
I just replaced my turbo inlet from a failure, as well as tgvs, secondary air pump removal, and over the summer fixed a leak at the IC throttle body hose that wasn't a total failure but it had come loose on one side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Alix, im guessing you already got protuned since this is an old post.

Here are my thoughts.

Your exhaust is restrictive. The Cobb downpipe tapers down to about 2.5" so it can mate up with the stock exhaust. I would take the car to someone that can cut the pipe where it is still 3" (remove everything after it) and build a single custom 3" exhaust from there on back.

Your stock intercooler will heat soak on the dyno and is not up to the task of keeping the egts in check at higher power levels. I would upgrade it.

I would add a 3 port BCS before the tune.

I have to agree with maniac, unless you will convert to EWG, the gain from an up pipe is negligible.

If you can do all of that, plus a pump and injectors, you will have a nice setup.

Was surprised to hear nobody mentioned boost creep\fuel cut that happens at higher boost levels with this turbo. The stock internal wastegate is too small to deflect exhaust away from the turbine when the exhaust and intake are upgraded. Cobbs thought is the tiny cat they put on their downpipe is enough to stop it. I was on stage 1 with both cats in place and got it. I only got worse on stage 2. I went to an EWG among other things and had Church Automotive tune it. Smooth sailing since then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alix, im guessing you already got protuned since this is an old post.

Here are my thoughts.

Your exhaust is restrictive. The Cobb downpipe tapers down to about 2.5" so it can mate up with the stock exhaust. I would take the car to someone that can cut the pipe where it is still 3" (remove everything after it) and build a single custom 3" exhaust from there on back.

Your stock intercooler will heat soak on the dyno and is not up to the task of keeping the egts in check at higher power levels. I would upgrade it.

I would add a 3 port BCS before the tune.

I have to agree with maniac, unless you will convert to EWG, the gain from an up pipe is negligible.

If you can do all of that, plus a pump and injectors, you will have a nice setup.

Was surprised to hear nobody mentioned boost creep\fuel cut that happens at higher boost levels with this turbo. The stock internal wastegate is too small to deflect exhaust away from the turbine when the exhaust and intake are upgraded. Cobbs thought is the tiny cat they put on their downpipe is enough to stop it. I was on stage 1 with both cats in place and got it. I only got worse on stage 2. I went to an EWG among other things and had Church Automotive tune it. Smooth sailing since then.
thanks man and i havent gotten it protuned yet because another problem came with the car it had a nasty leak coming from the cams and left valve gasket so ive been getting that worked out my new protune date is on 4/8/17. ill try to probably get the 3port EBCS but about the boost creep im oj the stage 2+ and my target boost is at 28psi on normal wastegate & 26 on low wastegate

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts