Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I just recently bought my first WRX. I'm super excited to start driving it and doing some modifications. It's a 2013 impreza wrx with around 140k miles on it. Sounds like a lot but the owner took insane care of it and even the dealership I called about the car said it was in almost perfect condition (it's bone stock as well). I had a couple of questions regarding some things about modifications. First of all, if I wanted to put a spoiler on it, does anyone have any recommendations for that? Also, would anyone be able to point out any modifications I can do for a bit of extra power and maybe to make it sound a bit better (I have no problem with loud, but not obnoxiously loud) without having to pay for a tune for the car? Thank you so much in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,411 Posts
Hey everyone, I just recently bought my first WRX. I'm super excited to start driving it and doing some modifications. It's a 2013 impreza wrx with around 140k miles on it. Sounds like a lot but the owner took insane care of it and even the dealership I called about the car said it was in almost perfect condition (it's bone stock as well). I had a couple of questions regarding some things about modifications. First of all, if I wanted to put a wing on it, does anyone have any recommendations for that? Also, would anyone be able to point out any modifications I can do for a bit of extra power and maybe to make it sound a bit better (I have no problem with loud, but not obnoxiously loud) without having to pay for a tune for the car? Thank you so much in advance!
There is nothing you can do to add power that doesn't require tuning.

Nvidia has some reasonable options. Nameless 5" cans are nice as well.

Why do you want a wing? It's a car not a plane.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is nothing you can do to add power that doesn't require tuning.

Nvidia has some reasonable options. Nameless 5" cans are nice as well.

Why do you want a wing? It's a car not a plane.
I enjoy the way they look with a spoiler on them. Just deciding if it's worth it to order one with instructions (drilling template etc.) so I can do it myself or to order a cheaper one without instructions and have a shop do it. Just looking for some recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
12,411 Posts
You are drilling holes into treated steel. No matter how much primer you put on it the treatment has been compromised and will rust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are drilling holes into treated steel. No matter how much primer you put on it the treatment has been compromised and will rust.
Ah okay, didn't even think about that. I think a whole trunk replacement is a bit too much at the moment so I might have to hold off on that. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it a lot! Do you have any other recommendations for some simple modifications I could maybe do that wouldn't cause too many risks?

·
Super Moderator
12,411 Posts
Stainless steel brake lines, stiffer shifter bushings good rotors and pads, koni inserts rce black springs.

Honestly with the age and mileage you'll probably have a ton of maintenance anyway. All hoses, belts, suspension bushings, and other rubber parts are likely spent. Replacing it all would be a huge boon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also would maybe doing something like using 3M extra strength moulding tape combined with an adhesion promoter be enough without drilling. People have said that will stick but I'm not sure I trust it without drilling.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
490 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the car! Share some pics if you want :)

Cosmetic mods are usually met with criticism around here. At the end of the day, it's your car so do what you wish with it.

I know it's exciting and tempting to start modding, but you have a great all-original example in your hands. I'd take care of all the maintenance first. Things that often get overlooked, and aren't exactly exciting. Belts, fluids, suspension etc. I'd avoid stainless steel lines on a street car. Fresh fluid will by itself provide the greatest improvement.

Since this is your first Subaru, you'll learn a lot about these cars as you read and research. This will take time, but you'll figure out better ways to modify the car.

As far as the wing goes, given the condition of your car, I wouldn't half-ass it. Find an STi trunk and swap it. Check car-part.com which searches local junkyards. Or post in the trunk swap thread. Surely you'll find someone looking for a wingless trunk.

For power, don't think this is a platform that you can just slap parts on and double your horsepower. Firstly, these motors aren't the most stout, and typically most reliable when staying near stock power levels. One of those things you'll learn in your research. A tune is a must basically for any power mod. You can get a Cobb AccessPort and flash their Stage 1 map, which will bump up power while staying relatively safe and reliable. A catback won't require a tune but will get you more sound. Plenty of options out there for your year. Check local classifieds for a good used deal.

As I said, do a lot of reading and be patient. You'll avoid doing mods you might later regret.

·
Super Moderator
12,411 Posts
Also would maybe doing something like using 3M extra strength moulding tape combined with an adhesion promoter be enough without drilling. People have said that will stick but I'm not sure I trust it without drilling.
You'll have to remove paint down to the bare steel again damaging the coat they use. Drilling is far better over that option

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome and congrats on the car! Share some pics if you want :)

Cosmetic mods are usually met with criticism around here. At the end of the day, it's your car so do what you wish with it.

I know it's exciting and tempting to start modding, but you have a great all-original example in your hands. I'd take care of all the maintenance first. Things that often get overlooked, and aren't exactly exciting. Belts, fluids, suspension etc. I'd avoid stainless steel lines on a street car. Fresh fluid will by itself provide the greatest improvement.

Since this is your first Subaru, you'll learn a lot about these cars as you read and research. This will take time, but you'll figure out better ways to modify the car.

As far as the wing goes, given the condition of your car, I wouldn't half-ass it. Find an STi trunk and swap it. Check car-part.com which searches local junkyards. Or post in the trunk swap thread. Surely you'll find someone looking for a wingless trunk.

For power, don't think this is a platform that you can just slap parts on and double your horsepower. Firstly, these motors aren't the most stout, and typically most reliable when staying near stock power levels. One of those things you'll learn in your research. A tune is a must basically for any power mod. You can get a Cobb AccessPort and flash their Stage 1 map, which will bump up power while staying relatively safe and reliable. A catback won't require a tune but will get you more sound. Plenty of options out there for your year. Check local classifieds for a good used deal.

As I said, do a lot of reading and be patient. You'll avoid doing mods you might later regret.
Thank you so much for that response, that helps tremendously actually. I think I'm getting a bit excited getting my first wrx haha. So I think my plan of action is an accesport and probably a catback in a bit. Do you have any tips for where I can find a relatively cheap accesport? I checked ebay but canot find anything, same with carparts.

I also found this listing on ebay for a used catback that seems realyl good: Invidia N1 Catback Dual Exhaust for 11-14 WRX 08-14 STi Hatback (Titanium Tips) | eBay
You think this would maybe be something worth buying? Also I assume there's no issues with having 4 exhaust tips and going to dual ones right?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thank you so much for that response, that helps tremendously actually. I think I'm getting a bit excited getting my first wrx haha. So I think my plan of action is an accesport and probably a catback in a bit. Do you have any tips for where I can find a relatively cheap accesport? I checked ebay but canot find anything, same with carparts.

I also found this listing on ebay for a used catback that seems realyl good: Invidia N1 Catback Dual Exhaust for 11-14 WRX 08-14 STi Hatback (Titanium Tips) | eBay
You think this would maybe be something worth buying? Also I assume there's no issues with having 4 exhaust tips and going to dual ones right?
My pleasure, and haha it happens. I've shared that excitement, so just trying to have you avoid the mistakes I've made and take things slow.

Check out NASIOC for the AccessPort. Their Classifieds are pretty active. People list on here too but not as often. Idk if you're on Facebook but I'm sure the Subie groups have people selling stuff too. Make sure you get the right model and version. They're vehicle specific. Just browse Cobb's site and familiarize yourself. Due to the recent EPA crackdown eBay no longer allows selling AccessPorts, so you won't find them there.

That exhaust looks good for what you're looking for. I see a resonator so drone should be minimized. The dual mufflers should be quieter than a single, although I personally prefer the idea and look of a single. Best thing to do is watch as many videos as you can on YouTube, or see if there are local Subie meets near you. Again, NASIOC, FB, CL, OfferUp etc should have exhausts too. Yes, the tips are merely cosmetic and won't affect fitment or the way the system mounts. As long as it's for 11-14 Sedan you should be good. Actually the 15-21 exhausts supposedly bolt right up too, so look into that. Just make sure you're not buying a 08-14 Hatchback exhaust, because those won't fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My pleasure, and haha it happens. I've shared that excitement, so just trying to have you avoid the mistakes I've made and take things slow.

Check out NASIOC for the AccessPort. Their Classifieds are pretty active. People list on here too but not as often. Idk if you're on Facebook but I'm sure the Subie groups have people selling stuff too. Make sure you get the right model and version. They're vehicle specific. Just browse Cobb's site and familiarize yourself. Due to the recent EPA crackdown eBay no longer allows selling AccessPorts, so you won't find them there.

That exhaust looks good for what you're looking for. I see a resonator so drone should be minimized. The dual mufflers should be quieter than a single, although I personally prefer the idea and look of a single. Best thing to do is watch as many videos as you can on YouTube, or see if there are local Subie meets near you. Again, NASIOC, FB, CL, OfferUp etc should have exhausts too. Yes, the tips are merely cosmetic and won't affect fitment or the way the system mounts. As long as it's for 11-14 Sedan you should be good. Actually the 15-21 exhausts supposedly bolt right up too, so look into that. Just make sure you're not buying a 08-14 Hatchback exhaust, because those won't fit.
Awesome, thank you so much, I really appreciate the help. After doing some more research, I think I am going to be going with an axel back to save some money and then look for an accesport.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Awesome, thank you so much, I really appreciate the help. After doing some more research, I think I am going to be going with an axel back to save some money and then look for an accesport.
No problem! Yes you can start with muffler deletes and see if that fits the bill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone, I just recently bought my first WRX. I'm super excited to start driving it and doing some modifications. It's a 2013 impreza wrx with around 140k miles on it. Sounds like a lot but the owner took insane care of it and even the dealership I called about the car said it was in almost perfect condition (it's bone stock as well). I had a couple of questions regarding some things about modifications. First of all, if I wanted to put a spoiler on it, does anyone have any recommendations for that? Also, would anyone be able to point out any modifications I can do for a bit of extra power and maybe to make it sound a bit better (I have no problem with loud, but not obnoxiously loud) without having to pay for a tune for the car? Thank you so much in advance!
Nice, I'm also joining you in the this process. I just bought a 2013 WRX Hatch not even a week ago! I love it. The Previous has already done most of the mods! I'm on a cobb stage 2 tune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice, I'm also joining you in the this process. I just bought a 2013 WRX Hatch not even a week ago! I love it. The Previous has already done most of the mods! I'm on a cobb stage 2 tune.
Hell yeah man, congratulations as well. Just got everything squared with the car and went for my first ride, I am so in love with it. The sound of the car is incredible. I never knew a stock car could be so fast. So glad I bought one. Hope you have fun with yours as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello. 2013 wagon WRX here Please be aware ej 25 motor is not capable of much more then stock horsepower . Just want to warn all those who think they can add upgrades without issues. Be nice to your subie and don’t treat it bad it it’s a nice car that’s going to cost you 15-20 thousand dollars in engine repair cost I am speaking for experience I have just had to go through the sad and very expensive process to get mine back on the road . So please don’t be hard on them and they will be nice to you. If anyone has any questions about it please feel free to contact me Thanks DIC

·
Super Moderator
12,411 Posts
Hello. 2013 wagon WRX here Please be aware ej 25 motor is not capable of much more then stock horsepower . Just want to warn all those who think they can add upgrades without issues. Be nice to your subie and don’t treat it bad it it’s a nice car that’s going to cost you 15-20 thousand dollars in engine repair cost I am speaking for experience I have just had to go through the sad and very expensive process to get mine back on the road . So please don’t be hard on them and they will be nice to you. If anyone has any questions about it please feel free to contact me Thanks DIC
What do you consider much more? It isn't unheard of them to put down north of 325whp just fine. Some folks do well upwards of 350. At 325whp that's easily 400 at the crank. That's quite a bit of power over the 265 crank HP or 200whp of the stock setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What do you consider much more? It isn't unheard of them to put down north of 325whp just fine. Some folks do well upwards of 350. At 325whp that's easily 400 at the crank. That's quite a bit of power over the 265 crank HP or 200whp of the stock setup.
That's good
Thanks for the info! I'm making 257 WHP and that's all the fun I need. I feel like it needs a 6th gear, but it's still fine. I don't get on the gas pedal too often because I don't want anymore speeding tickets! It has 77k miles now and I'm putting in an aisin waterpump and timing belt kit on it for maint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts