Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased my first wrx with 41k miles and have done a few upgrades. Accessport, Cobb DP, Grimmspeed TMIC, Nameless axleback and just a drop in filter with a Torqued Performance stage 2 etune. This car is a daily driver and will be driven in winter here in Minnesota. What other mods would you think would be beneficial for me while still keeping it reliable? (strictly straight line performance)

I am torn about getting an intake for this vehicle because of the majority of the posts saying it isn't that beneficial. If I were to get one it would be between the AEM and Cobb. Not sure how either of them do with the cold winters here.

Thanks for the help!

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Winter tires would be my first recommendation, possibly with a designated set of winter wheels to do with them. Many people will have a summer wheel/tire setup and a winter one. Just swap wheels for the different seasons.

Other than that. On the newer generation wrx's (09 and up) an intake is actually beneficial at stage 2 and higher. Although, with your current setup, adding in a intake will take your IDC's to the max. So I would highly suggest fuel injectors and fuel pump along with your next set of modifications.

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
Cobb unit with the box. You'll basically have your injectors at nearly max duty so you may want to consider some upgraded injectors and fuel pump if you ever plan on more. It will also help if you track the car and keep it wot at high rpm a lot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
You didn't provide a budget, so obviously, there is none.

Gauges to monitor what's going on with your car. I'm not a fan of using the Cobb AP as a "gauge". I prefer traditional gauges. You want quality gauges, because an inaccurate gauge is worse than no gauge at all. If you want digital gauges, buy AEM. If you want analog gauges, buy Defi. Good selection: Boost, EGT, WBO2 (AEM or Innovate Motorsports), Oil Temp, Oil Pressure. Boost / EGT / WBO2 are helpful during the tuning process, while Oil Temp / Oil Pressure are really mainly helpful for regular driving making sure that it's safe to push the car.

Your fuel system is maxed out. You'll need a fuel pump and a set of injectors (ID1050X) before anything else. With the upgraded injectors, that gives you the option to run E85, if it's available in your area. You can consider a flex fuel kit as well, so that you don't have to worry about map switching.

You might need an aftermarket bypass valve, as the plastic one is notorious for leaking at higher boost pressures. Especially if you start running E85, this may be an issue.

An intake is worth a good bit of power up top if you have the fuel to support the additional airflow. This is where the pump/injectors come into play.

There is some boost creep issues on the GR WRX, so an EWG setup would be helpful both in controlling boost and for reducing exhaust gas back pressure. With an EWG, you'd need aftermarket boost control, so either a 3-port solenoid or an MBC to go along with it.

An EL manifold would also be something to consider; you'll lose the Subaru "Rumble", but your car will sound more like a Porsche, you'll have better response/spool on the turbo, and it will make more power everywhere. I don't regret ditching my factory manifold in the least.

Finish off your exhaust and get rid of your factory resonator pipe. With everything else, the factory exhaust will be a restriction. Have a shop weld on a 3" flange on the end of your Cobb downpipe so you don't have to worry about leaks, and you have 3" all the way back.

A good tune; this is the most important piece, so don't be afraid to travel. P&L Motorsports outside Chicago brings in JR for their calibrations, and is one of the best in the country. Make a weekend of it. Schedule a tuning appointment, bring a buddy (or two or three) along, catch a Cubs/Blackhawks game (depending on season), enjoy the Chicago night life, and have a good time.

A full bolt-on stock turbo GR WRX is quite a bit of fun (even more so on E85). Live with that for a year or so, then decide if you want to upgrade your turbo. All the parts you bought for this would be helpful on the larger turbo. A larger turbo will shift the powerband to the upper RPMs, making it less conducive to daily driving, but you just need to adjust your driving habits and it can still be fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it! I've done on the previous installs myself but not sure if I am up for tackling the injectors. I was quoted $225 from a shop near by (DB Performance), does this seem reasonable? They also do tuning but I am not sure how reputable they are. I think I could handle the fuel pump though. Is the AEM high flow a pretty good pump?

·
Super Moderator
11,456 Posts
225 for what?

Injectors are not that bad

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Im really unsure why you'd choose a WRX for straight line performance, it's essentially the worst platform out there for it.

Like others have said, though, Injectors, Pump, E85, would be the next logical routes to take to increase power, but by that point you're beating back the devil as far as reliability is concerned

1 - 7 of 7 Posts