ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2012 WRX, first one and I love it however I have noticed it seems to be rough tuned and between 4-5 thousand RPM there is a very slight lag, has anybody experienced this??

acceleration just doesn't seem to be seemless

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Haven't heard that one about the 2012s yet...but it's no surprise that Subaru put a . Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .ty tune on a WRX. They are kind of known to lean them out a bit to save some MPGs.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Stock? Mine was like that, flashed to Cobb Stage 1 fixed the issue. The torque seemed to be dropping right were you are talking about.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, the stock tune has a lot of peaks and valleys. The fade after 5 grand is horrible. A stage 1 tune will fix that.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yeah that is the crappy tune that comes with the cars. Stage 1 vs Stock is night and day difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not much in gain maybe a few ponies, it will really smooth it out though feel like a whole different car.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It really is a night and day difference. My car was so much smoother after flashing. You can either purchase a Cobb Accessport and use those maps or you can buy a tactrix cable and purchase a torqued performance map.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Check out the link HERE for what the Cobb Stage 1 map does as one example [PDF link!].

You can see the torque curve is much steeper and smoother. This translates to more low-end grunt and much smoother acceleration. You might notice a bit better fuel economy as well, but your mileage will vary depending on location and driving style.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see different stage 1's what are the differences between them? On the very top of the PDF

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
They have different Maps for different grade fuel
This + there are different maps depending on if your intake is stock or not.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Anything other than the stock intake is really just a noisemaker. I've read that the stock intake on these cars is good for up to 400hp.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Check out the link HERE for what the Cobb Stage 1 map does as one example [PDF link!].

You can see the torque curve is much steeper and smoother. This translates to more low-end grunt and much smoother acceleration. You might notice a bit better fuel economy as well, but your mileage will vary depending on location and driving style.
I lose at least 1 MPG every fill up... boost became even more addicting =(

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
So do you guys recommend a intake?
As a first mod, there are better bang for you buck ways to go (Downpipe and a tune) but an intake with a downpipe and a protune isn't a bad path to start.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts