Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just picked up a 2012 WRX hatchback - it's my first Subaru so there's a lot I don't know.

I've tried to do my research, but haven't come up with a solid answer to my first major question.

It would appear that my legs are somehow longer than my arms :) or at least the ratio is off compared to the people Subaru designed this car for. I don't have this problem at all in my MR2 - its shifter is in exactly the right position for me, apparently.

The result is that when my seat is in a comfortable position for my distance to the pedals, my arm has to stretch too far to get to the shifter, especially in 1st/3rd/5th. It gets uncomfortable on long drives and especially in traffic, because I end up having to stretch and lean just a little bit to really be able to grab onto the shifter to shift from, say, 3rd into 4th.

What I'm wondering is if there are well-known solutions to this, or if I'm going to have to experiment. :/ I've found this "single bend shifter", but it doesn't look like it would make that big of a difference, and I'm also not clear on whether it will make the shift throw longer (I tend to prefer a shorter throw, though what is on the car now is pretty much stock I think), shorter, or what. I don't really want to end up with one of those racing shifters that is super tall and comes up close to the steering wheel, if I can avoid it.

I've also found this thread where somebody had a custom extension made, though it looks a lot longer than I'd need, and I also don't really know anybody who has a machine shop and could do this for me.

I've done a fair amount of searching on the forum, but must be searching for the wrong thing, or else this is a problem that is unique to me. Does anyone know of any good solutions for this? Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie!

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,787 Posts
A bent shifter is the only thing that comes to mind. The longer the shifter is from the pivot the longer the shift motion. You can counter this with adjustable short throw shifters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,787 Posts
Maybe. You'll have to try it and see what you prefer. I can't tell you what will be the best feel for you. I personally didn't care for the short throw in my car.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· In Æternum
23,701 Posts
FYR, the Cobb adjustable shifter moves the pivot angle forward, away from the driver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've taken mine apart and it turns out I have the Kartboy short shifter, which already has a bit of a backwards angle in it. I just need it to be even more angled than it is.

I wonder if I could find somebody experienced enough in metalworking to simply put a bend in the top rod. I think probably a 20 degree angle would do it.

· Registered
2,100 Posts
I'm 6'2 and my legs are muuuuch longer than my arms proportionately. I find it's easier to just sit closer to the steering wheel and sacrifice "comfort". The driver seat isn't meant to be a lay-z-boy recliner.

· Registered
500 Posts
6'4" and @ 240 lbs, here. My knees are up pretty far and I can just reach the shifter while rowing through the gears. Although, my right arm is nearly extended in 1, 3, & 5. My body looks fairly proportionate, but my arms are, deceivingly, a little shorter in relation to my legs.

My big issue is if I put the seat where I want it - further back - the steering wheel seems too far away. And, yes, I have it extended as far as possible and tilted towards me.

I also have the driver's seat all the way down. Which gives me a good bit of headroom, which I prefer.

These cars are compact cars, built for shorter people. People always want to be tall, but it has more disadvantages than advantages.

(Sorry for the rambling.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.